The start of the most high-profile neo-Nazi murder trial in Germany’s history was delayed from this week after judges announced Monday an overhaul of rules giving media access.
Proceedings were to have begun Wednesday against a woman accused of being part of a far-right killer cell blamed for 10 murders.
But because Germany’s top court ordered the Munich judges last week to expand foreign media access to the trial its starting date had to be put back.
Hearings are now to begin on May 6, the court said.
“The court explained that in light of the ruling of the Federal Constitutional Court from April 12, 2013, a new press accreditation process will be necessary and this would not be possible ahead of the planned start of the trial on April 17, 2013,” a court spokeswoman said in a statement.
Beate Zschaepe, believed to be the last surviving member of a gang known as the National Socialist Underground accused of killing eight ethnic Turks, a Greek man and a German policewoman between 2000 and 2007, is to stand trial with four alleged accomplices.
Germany’s highest court on Friday upheld a complaint by a Turkish newspaper over media access to the trial in a controversy that had strained ties with Ankara.
The presiding judge in the case had assigned guaranteed seats at the hearings on a first-come, first-served basis, resulting in German reporters taking nearly all 50 of the reserved places and most international media outlets having no reliable access to the courtroom.
After a lawsuit by Turkish newspaper Sabah, the Federal Constitutional Court ruled that the Munich tribunal must provide “an appropriate number of seats to representatives of foreign media with a particular connection to the victims”.
The federal judges suggested reserving at least three seats for foreign media or restarting the press accreditation process from scratch.
The Turkish government, victims’ representatives, German leaders and journalists had hit out at a lack of “sensitivity” by the Munich court in light of the massive public interest in the case.
The leader of Germany’s three-million-strong Turkish community, Kenan Kolat, blamed the Munich court’s missteps on media access for the trial’s delay.
“Everything must be done to ensure that the the verdict cannot be questioned in the end,” Kolat told the daily Die Welt in an interview to be published Tuesday.
The trial covers the shootings of nine immigrants that took place in different cities around Germany, in small businesses such as a florist’s, an Internet cafe, snack and vegetable shops during normal opening hours.
Zschaepe is also accused of involvement in 15 armed robberies, arson and attempted murder in two bomb attacks, with 600 witnesses due to take the stand during the proceedings which could last more than two years.
She faces life in prison if convicted. Four male alleged accomplices will also go on trial on lesser charges.
Dubbed the “Nazi moll” in the media, morbid fascination in the bespectacled brunette has been heightened by her refusal to talk while in custody since she turned herself in to police.
Zschaepe and her alleged NSU accomplices, Uwe Mundlos and Uwe Boehnhardt, who were reportedly linked in a love triangle, are believed to have gone underground in 1998 after police discovered their bomb-making operation.
Prosecutors say they funded their crime spree for 13 years with bank and post office robberies until the two men were found shot dead in an apparent murder-suicide following a heist on November 4, 2011.
‘She’s a sick puppy’: Trump goes off the rails attacking Pelosi in Fox News coronavirus update
President Donald Trump railed at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi during a phone interview with Fox News.
The president called in to "Fox & Friends," which he regularly watches and promotes on his Twitter feed, and complained that Pelosi had criticized his response to the coronavirus crisis.
"She’s a sick puppy, in my opinion," Trump told the hosts. "She has a lot of problems."
Trump pushed the emerging Republican attack that claims Democrats were too distracted by impeachment to respond to the COVID-19 threat in its early stages.
Don’t believe the polls — Trump is killing his re-election chances with his pandemic floundering: columnist
According to longtime political observer David Leonhardt, Donald Trump's chances of being re-elected are diminishing every day as the economy continues to crash and Americans are dying because of the COVID-19 pandemic despite "snapshot polls" saying voters are still supportive of him.
Writing for the New York Times, the columnist notes that the full horrors of what is now occurring won't fully be revealed for months to come -- and for Trump, the resulting damage may be too much to overcome in November when voters head to the polls.
‘Abolish for-profit health insurance’: Analysis warns companies could hike premiums by 40 percent amid pandemic
"Corporate-run health insurance isn't about saving lives. It's about making as much money as possible. With Medicare for All we can finally put an end to this international disgrace," said Sen. Bernie Sanders.
A new analysis warning that U.S. health insurance companies could hike already exorbitant premiums by 40 percent or more next year amid the coronavirus pandemic was received by Medicare for All advocates as further confirmation that America's healthcare system—driven first and foremost by the profit motive—is ill-equipped to provide necessary care for all, particularly in a time of nationwide crisis.