Quantcast
Connect with us

Florida man admits dismembering 70-year-old mom over her medical problems

Published

on

Investigators in Brevard County said that a Florida man admitted to beating and dismembering the body of his 70-year-old mother after he became frustrated about her failing health.

According to WFTV, Francis Riccio was being extradited from New York to central Florida on Friday on charges of first-degree murder.

Brevard County deputies said that the remains of Francis Riccio’s mother, Maureen Riccio, were found in a drainage ditch about two weeks ago by a cell tower maintenance worker who thought they might be a dead animal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Investigators believe that Francis Riccio had become frustrated over his mother’s mounting medical issues and was unable to find a facility to care for her. He was eventually located in New York, where he admitted that an argument led to the killing. Police said that Francis Riccio told them that he beat his mother, dismembered her body and then dumped the remains a few days later.

Investigators determined that Maureen Riccio’s body had been left in her home while her son purchased the tools he used to divide her into pieces.

“At one point, the son dismembered his mother in order to make her easier to transport,” Maj. Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office explained to Florida Today.

Goodyear said that investigators did not believe that Social Security payments were a motivation for the murder, but the New York City Police Department was investigating stolen items allegedly sold on Craigslist.

“It can be very hard sometimes to take care of elderly parents,” Goodyear pointed out. “It can be very frustrating, but I think that’s one of the things we sign on for as sons and daughters.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch this video from Florida Today, broadcast May 31, 2012.

Watch this video from WFTV, broadcast May 31, 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump is in a ‘fight-or-flight state’ over coronavirus: ‘Art of the Deal’ co-author

Published

on

On Thursday's edition of MSNBC's "The Beat," Trump biographer and "Art of the Deal" co-author Tony Schwartz laid out the president's state of mind over the coronavirus crisis.

"Let's understand Trump," said Schwartz. "Trump is the chief energy officer of this land. So, in other words, his energy has a disproportionate impact on all our energy. And he already raised the anxiety of people over the last four years considerably. He'll exploit fear if he thinks that serves him, or deny fear if he thinks that serves him."

"That's an important point," said host Ari Melber. "You're arguing, as someone who worked with him, that while we just heard about a public interest approach, you're saying you don't see him using public interest?"

Continue Reading

CNN

Markets are ‘getting ready for something worse’ amid coronavirus chaos: Expert

Published

on

On Thursday's edition of CNN's "The Situation Room," business analyst Richard Quest said that the United States is not likely on track for a recession at the moment — but that if the coronavirus outbreak explodes within the country, it could destabilize the economy into a tailspin.

"The 1,190-point drop today, the largest in the history of the New York Stock Exchange," said anchor Wolf Blitzer. "Over the past week, the Dow Jones has dropped 3,581 points since last Thursday alone ... could the U.S. economy now go into recession if the coronavirus spreads here in the United States?"

"Right, the qualifications of that is the last bit of your question: If it spreads in the United States," said Quest. "At the moment, there's no reputable economist that is forecasting a global recession or a U.S. recession if the status quo is maintained, i.e., periodic expansions of this with just a few more cases. However, if there was a full-scale outbreak and you start looking at large parts of the U.S. economy being shut down, no question about it. A recession would be on the cards."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Gaze adoringly at you’: Internet mocks Trump’s claim coronavirus leader Mike Pence has ‘nothing else to do’

Published

on

The internet exploded in laughter on Thursday after President Donald Trump said he put Vice President Mike Pence in charge of the coronavirus because he had "nothing else to do."

The New York Times reported that the president made the remarks on Wednesday before naming Pence as the point man on the virus.

Wait, I thought he was a businessman and didn't like people around with nothing to do (hence fired the CDC epidemic response team) - seems like he should have fired Pence a long time ago?

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image