Quantcast
Connect with us

McCain insists Benghazi attack was covered up by the White House

Published

on

Senator John McCain accused the White House of a “coverup” over Benghazi on Sunday, ratcheting up Republican pressure over the administration’s handling of last September’s consulate attack.

Speaking on ABC’s This Week, the GOP grandee alleged that there had been a “wilful removal of information” over the attack in Libya, an assault that resulted in the deaths of four Americans including ambassador Chris Stevens.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a further attempt to keep pressure on the administration, along with potential 2016 candidate Hillary Clinton, McCain called for the setting up yet another congressional committee to investigate the circumstances of the 11 September attack. He added that Clinton should be forced to testify again.

The apparent Republican focus on attempting to pin Benghazi on Clinton has been taken by Democrats as a blatant attempt to smear her ahead of a widely speculated run for the presidency.

Speaking on CBS’s Face the Nation on Sunday, Democratic Senate majority whip Dick Durbin accused Clinton’s detractors of playing politics.

“Unfortunately, this has been caught up in the 2016 presidential campaign, this effort to go after Hillary Clinton,” the Illinois senator said.

He added that there was no coverup over the attack. Durbin went on to dismiss the discrepancies seen in different versions of the initial official statement on the attack as “a squabble between two agencies, the CIA and the State Department”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Renewed focus has been drawn to the initial reaction to the consulate assault after it emerged last week that State Department staff edited out references to prior terrorist threats from an original draft of a talking points memo.

According to reports in the US media some 12 different versions of the document were produced.

The first, drawn up by the CIA alone, mentioned that there had been “at least five other attacks against foreign interests in Benghazi” in the months leading up to the deadly attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

But emails have revealed that State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland objected to the paragraph, commenting that it “could be abused by members (of Congress) to beat up the State Department for not paying attention to warnings”.

The line was removed.

Republicans have long contended that statements from the administration after the attack were construed to minimize any blame over a perceived lack of security at the consulate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Susan Rice, US ambassador to the UN and a former frontrunner to replace Clinton as state secretary, saw her political ambitions cut short after she suggested that the attack could have originated from a spontaneous protest over an anti-Muslim US-made film.

Rice had based her comments on the talking points supplied to her from the State Department and the intelligence services.

Despite a number of congressional bodies having already held sessions into the incident, Republicans appear intent on pushing for another investigation by a joint select committee.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It requires a full and complete ventilation of these facts,” McCain said Sunday. It is thought that the longer the issue drags on, the more damaging it could be for both the White House and Clinton.

The former first lady has yet to say whether she will run in 2016. But given her popularity among Democratic colleagues and the party base alike, it is thought that she would be a strong favourite to take the candidacy should she mount a campaign.

Some Republicans, including former House speaker Newt Gingrich, have openly aired their concern that a run by the former secretary of state, backed by President Barack Obama, could be unstoppable. It is with that in mind that many of her opponents are hoping to pin some of the blame for Benghazi on the then-secretary of state.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2013

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

REVEALED: Kayleigh McEnany called Biden a ‘man of the people’ who connects better with the ‘middle class’ than Trump

Published

on

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany is a loyal mouthpiece for President Donald Trump, both in presidential policy and against his political opponents in the election campaign. She has echoed Trump's attacks on Joe Biden, calling him a "radical socialist" and using monikers like "Sleepy."

But on Monday, CNN unearthed audio of McEnany from 2015 during an interview on New York AM970, in which she offered a very different view.

"I think the Republicans run into a problem if it is Joe Biden and if it is maybe a Trump on the other side," said McEnany. "Because Joe Biden, one of the things he is remarkable at is really kind of being a man of the people and resonating with middle class voters. Feeling like — coming off as human. His gaffes — as much as we make fun of them — to a certain extent they make him look human. So not, since he's likable."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump whines that he shouldn’t be blamed for ‘Lock Her Up!’ chants — as his supporters chant it

Published

on

President Donald J. Trump refuted responsibility for his rally cries of "lock her up" during a campaign stop in Martinsburg, Penn. Monday.

"Lock her up," the crowds chanted. To which Trump replied, "Now [the chants] are happening with [Joe] Biden because that's a crime family, frankly. But every time that happens, when they say, 'lock her up,' they always blame me and I have nothing to do with it."

Watch the video below.

After the crowd chants "lock her up!" for Hillary Clinton, Trump says "now [the chants] are happening with Biden because that's a crime family, frankly. But every time that happens, when they say 'lock her up,' they always blame me & I have nothing to do with it." pic.twitter.com/SjKrfadJIv

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

‘Segregated South type behavior’: Americans are furious at ‘scared’ Texas’s Gov. Abbott deploying Guard troops to the polls

Published

on

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced that he is deploying troops to the polls in the state, something that a president can't even due because it can suppress the vote.

“The Texas Army National Guard said Monday it had been ordered to dispatch 1,000 troops to five major cities around the state in conjunction with the Nov. 3 election,” San Antonio Express-News reported on Monday.

It sent people into flames of rage claiming that it was an example of a Republican governor behaving like a segregationist from the 1950s.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE