Philippines climate change commissioner Naderev “Yeb” Saño, who warned United Nations officials about the dangers of inaction on climate change a year ago, made a powerful appeal for more concrete action in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan, going so far as to declare a fast in support of his cause.
Democracy Now reported on Tuesday that Saño reiterated his call for a “meaningful outcome” during the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Warsaw, Poland, telling the assembly that Haiyan did not just devastate his country, but his hometown of Tacloban. The storm’s initial death toll was estimated at around 10,000 people, but the country’s president, President Benigno Aquino III, told CNN on Tuesday that it is likely to be closer to between 2,000 and 2,500 victims.
“I struggle to find words even for the images that we see on the news coverage,” Saño said, as he visibly struggled to keep his composure. “And I struggle to find words to describe how I feel about the losses. Up to this hour, I agonize, waiting for word to the fate of my very own relatives. What gives me renewed strength and great relief is that my own brother has communicated to us, and he had survived the onslaught. In the last two days, he has been gathering bodies of the dead with his own two hands. He is very hungry and weary, as food supplies find it difficult to arrive in that hardest-hit area.”
To that end, he said, he would refrain from eating for the duration of the conference.
“This process under the UNFCCC has been called many, many names,” Saño said. “It has been called a farce. It has been called an annual carbon-intensive gathering of useless frequent flyers. It has been called many names. And this hurts. But we can prove them wrong. The UNFCCC can also be called the project to save the planet. It has also been called ‘saving tomorrow today’ a couple of years ago. And today, we say, ‘I care.'”
Saño made a similar appeal during last year’s UNFCCC, in Doha, Qatar, calling for “no more excuses” from both the UNFCCC and lawmakers.
Democracy Now reported that following the conclusion of Saño’s remarks this year, three activists were kicked out of the session after displaying a banner expressing solidarity with his country.
Watch Democracy Now’s report, as aired on Tuesday, below.
GOP congressman demands Pelosi’s House floor statement be ‘taken down’ after she denounces Trump’s racist tweets
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Tuesday took to the floor of Congress to read a statement denouncing President Donald Trump's recent statements telling four congresswomen of color to go back to their home country.
"The comments are racist," Pelosi said. "How shameful to hear him continue to defend the offensive words. Words we have heard him repeat not only about our members but about countless others. Our caucus will continue to forcefully respond on these attacks which reflect a fundamental disrespect for the beautiful diversity of America. There’s no place anywhere for the president’s words which are not only divisive but dangerous and have legitimatized an increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color."
WATCH: GOP lawmaker has a meltdown on the House floor over resolution condemning Trump’s racism
As the House of Representatives debated a resolution that condemned President Donald Trump for making racist tweets, Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) had an emotional meltdown in which he said Trump couldn't be a racist because he never specifically mentioned anyone's race.
On Sunday, Trump told Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) to "go back" to the countries they came from, despite the fact that all four women are American citizens and three of them were born in the United States.
Duffy, however, insisted that there was nothing racist about telling American citizens of color to "go back" to foreign countries even though most of them were born in the U.S.
GOP strategist calls Trump ‘a vile racist’ — who is counting on white voters being just as racist as he is
Republican strategist Rick Tyler told MSNBC Tuesday that President Donald Trump is clearly doubling-down on his attempts to court an all-white voting bloc for 2020. Tyler called it "vile" and "racist," noting that he doesn't say those words lightly.
Citing Washington Post reporter Phil Rucker, Tyler agreed that the Republican Party is trying to twist the issue to make it about ideology and not race. However, Trump never attacked specific issues; he told the women to go back to their countries of origin and called them terrorists.