Quantcast
Connect with us

Gov. Chris Christie sacks top aide while denying involvement in ‘Bridgegate’ scandal

Published

on

An “embarrassed and humiliated” New Jersey Governor Chris Christie sacked a top aide Thursday in response to a mushrooming scandal over a vindictive bridge lane closure that threatens his presumed presidential aspirations.

The Republican apologized repeatedly for his office’s connection to the shutting down of local lanes on the George Washington Bridge in September, apparently to punish a mayor who refused to endorse Christie’s successful re-election bid.

ADVERTISEMENT

The lane closure caused massive traffic jams that for four days trapped commuters and schoolchildren in hours-long delays on the bridge.

Christie insisted that he was completely unaware of the move until Wednesday, when emails between his senior staff and an official with the authority responsible for the bridge were leaked to the press.

“I had no knowledge or involvement in this issue, in its planning or its execution,” a chastened Christie told reporters.

“I am embarrassed and humiliated by the conduct of some of the people on my team,” singling out his deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly.

“I’ve terminated the employment of Bridget Kelly, effective immediately. I terminated her employment because she lied to me,” Christie said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The governor, whose office is bracing for an investigation by the US attorney in New Jersey, also said he would travel later Thursday to Fort Lee to apologize “face to face” to its Democratic mayor Mark Sokolich, who apparently drew the wrath of Christie aides over his refusal to back the governor last year.

Christie said he felt “blindsided” Wednesday when he learned of the communications between Kelly and a top Christie appointee to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, David Wildstein.

“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Kelly wrote to Wildstein, a high school friend of Christie, on August 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Got it,” Wildstein replied.

The Fort Lee mayor was not advised the lanes would be closed for what was said to be part of a traffic study.

Then on September 10, Wildstein texted Kelly: “Is it wrong that I am smiling?”

ADVERTISEMENT

“No,” she replied.

The brouhaha has much of New Jersey fuming, and political watchers wondering whether the Republican Party has just lost its potential number one contender for the White House in the post-Obama era.

Christie also ordered his two-time campaign manager, Bill Stepien, removed from the running to lead New Jersey’s Republican Party.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Confederate battle flag banned — Marine Corps declares it a ‘threat to our core values’

Published

on

The United States Marine Corps banned the public display of the Confederate battle flag on Friday.

"Depictions of the Confederate battle flag are unauthorized in public and work spaces aboard an installation," the Marine Corps wrote in guidance to the troops.

The ban applies to bumper stickers, clothing and flags among other items.

"The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups whose divisive beliefs have no place in our Corps," the Marines explained.

"Our history as a nation, and events like the violence in Charlottesville in 2017, highlight the divisiveness the use of the Confederate battle flag has had on our society," the continued. "The presents a threat to our core values, unit cohesion, security, and good order and discipline."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

BUSTED: Police arrest Anthony Brennan III on assault charges after viral video of attack on teenage protesters

Published

on

On Friday, The Washington Post reported that authorities have arrested Anthony B. Brennan III, a man suspected of being the attacker caught on camera in Maryland attacking teenagers putting up posters protesting the death of George Floyd, and charged him with second-degree assault.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump is ‘a soulless man with a broken mind’: George Conway calls out his wife’s boss in scathing op-ed

Published

on

George Conway, the prominent Republican attorney married to White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, blasted his wife's boss in a new Washington Post op-ed published online on Friday evening.

"Until three brief months ago, President Trump never faced a serious crisis, at least one not of his own making. But now he has faced two, and is failing two, in short order: the covid-19 pandemic, with its concomitant economic devastation; and now social unrest, and rioting, stemming from the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody," Conway wrote. "Lacking in humanity, Trump has had no idea how to handle either one."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image