Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Hunger Games’ star Jennifer Lawrence ‘to take year off from Hollywood’

Published

on

Producer Harvey Weinstein says Hunger Games star ‘deserves a rest’ after series of exhausting movies

Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence is to take a year-long break from the movie business, according to Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

Speaking to the Sun on Sunday (paywall) Weinstein said the exhausted star of dystopian sci fi saga The Hunger Games and comedy Silver Linings Playbook would be taking a well-deserved rest after an incredibly busy period of filming.

“Jennifer is too nice and will do people favours and agrees to do a movie like American Hustle when she could have had a rest,” said Weinstein. “She signed on to do Hunger Games when she was young and wouldn’t have realised how much it would dominate her life. But she’s a professional and always will be.”

The producer said Lawrence, who took the best actress Oscar last year for her turn in David O Russell’s Silver Linings Playbook, had every right to give last week’s Baftas a miss. The 23-year-old was unable to attend despite taking the best supporting actress prize for Russell’s followup American Hustle. “It’s been non-stop for her and she deserves a rest,” said Weinstein.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lawrence is a frontrunner to take the best supporting actress prize for American Hustle at the Oscars next month. She is due to appear in the final two Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Parts One and Two, between now and 2015, and also has comic book epic X-Men: Days of Future Past due out this year. Other upcoming roles include the lead in Suzanne Bier’s Depression-era drama Serena and a part in the comedy sequel Dumb and Dumber To.

Weinstein, who worked with Lawrence on Silver Linings Playbook, also put paid to suggestions he would stop collaborating with Quentin Tarantino during the interview. The producer, who has been Tarantino’s biggest supporter since the days of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, recently said he planned to stop working on films which featured heavy gun violence due to his political views on the subject.

• Jennifer Lawrence says fat-shaming should be illegal in Walters interview

ADVERTISEMENT

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2014


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here is why Nancy Pelosi allowed a House impeachment vote

Published

on

Admitting that he isn't privy to insider knowledge from the Democratic leadership, Bloomberg columnist Jonathan Bernstein suggested that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may be playing a much longer game on the possibility of impeachment hearings on Donald Trump than her detractors believe.

Wondering, "Is Nancy Pelosi closer to impeachment?' Bernstein writes, "Usually, when a regular bill or resolution has been introduced, it’s then referred to committee. If the majority party doesn’t want to consider the bill, it will die with no further action. Under House rules, however, any member can force an impeachment resolution onto the floor as pending business. That’s what [Rep. Al] Green (D-TX) did Wednesday."

Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Absolutely disastrous’: Progressives furious as fellow Democrats push funding cut for health clinics that serve 30 million Americans

Published

on

"If Democrats were serious about protecting every American's right to healthcare, this plan wouldn't even be on the table."

Progressive members of Congress are raising alarm and publicly calling out Democratic colleagues who are pushing legislation that would significantly cut funding to community health centers, which currently provide essential care to around 30 million primarily poor and rural Americans.

As the Washington Post's Jeff Stein reported Wednesday, Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) is advancing a bipartisan measure that "would provide flat levels of federal funding for hundreds of community health centers nationwide, at about $4 billion for the next four years."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump falsely claims he stopped his supporters from chanting ‘Send her back!’

Published

on

On Wednesday night, President Donald Trump held a rally in Greenville, North Carolina, where he singled out Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), accusing her and the other Democratic congresswomen known as "the Squad" of not loving America.

In response, the crowd began to shout "Send her back!"

Trump allowed the crowd to continue the chant for a full 12 seconds before continuing his speech.

The next day, amidst criticism that he was riling up his fans to dangerous levels, Trump claimed that he had indeed shut down the chant, in direct contradiction to the video. New York Times journalist Peter Baker reported Trump's claim on Twitter.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image