Quantcast
Connect with us

Natalie Portman’s directorial debut criticized by orthodox Israeli protesters

Published

on

Oscar-winning actor’s shoot for “A Tale of Love and Darkness” is condemned by an ultra-orthodox community in Jerusalem

Oscar-winner Natalie Portman has been accused of mounting a “foreign invasion” by protesters from Israel’s ultra-orthodox community after arriving in Jerusalem to shoot her directorial debut, reports the Times of Israel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Portman is in the city to work on a film adaptation of Israeli novelist Amos Oz’s acclaimed memoir A Tale of Love and Darkness, which has been translated into 28 languages and has sold over a million copies worldwide. The film details Oz’s childhood in Jerusalem in the chaotic period at the end of the British mandate for Palestine, as well as the writer’s experiences during the early years of the state of Israel and teenage years on a kibbutz. Portman, who was born in Jerusalem to an Israeli father and an American mother, will also take a supporting role as Oz’s mother.

Ultra-orthodox residents of the city’s Nahlaot district have written to Jerusalem deputy mayor Rachel Azaria in protest at the decision to shoot scenes there. “The film shooting is set to take place on several sensitive streets close to synagogues and yeshivas, and the scenes being filmed should have been examined first to make sure they don’t offend anybody’s sensitivities,” the letter reads. It insists authorities failed to inform residents about the shoot, and suggests they only discovered it was happening in recent days.

The Times also reports incidents of ultra-orthodox protest graffiti in the district labelling Portman’s film a “foreign invasion”. Authorities said all actors involved in the shoot for A Tale of love and Darkness would dress modestly, and pointed out the difficulty of balancing the cultural interests of the city as a whole with those of local religious groups.

“There is a constant tension between the desire to celebrate diverse and interesting Jerusalem and the attempts by extremist groups to prevent this,” Azaria said. “The attraction of the city, its unique architecture and the efforts of the film and television industry will triumph and the cinematic growth we’ve seen in Jerusalem in recent years will continue to flourish with Natalie Portman in Nahlaot.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Portman, received 1.6m Israeli New Shekel (£276,500) from the Jerusalem Development Authority to bring her film to the city. Observers report scenes featuring schoolchildren dressed in traditional 1940s clothing – wool knee-length shorts for the boys and pinafore dresses for the girls – have already been shot. Portman, who left Israel for the US at the age of three, will speak Hebrew in the film.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2014


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Bill de Blasio learned of federal investigation — and suspended his 2020 bid the next day: report

Published

on

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Friday that he was ending his campaign for the Democratic Party presidential nomination.

There may have been more to the timing than previously reported.

"Federal election officials asked Mayor de Blasio for more information about his presidential campaign fundraising after he used a state political action committee to pay for expenses related to the bid – seemingly against the law," the New York Daily News reported Friday. "The Federal Election Commission demanded that de Blasio 2020 clarify a debt the campaign owed his NY Fairness PAC in a letter Thursday – the day before Hizzoner dropped out of the race."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

White House Counsel busted working to keep whistleblower report from Congress: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump's White House counsel has reportedly been personally involved in keeping Congress from reviewing a whistleblowing report involving Ukraine.

"The revelation that Trump pushed Zelensky to pursue the Biden probe, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, represents the most detailed account so far of the president’s conduct that prompted a U.S. intelligence official to file a whistleblower action against the president," The Washington Post reported Friday. "The disclosure comes amid new details about the White House’s role in preventing Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire from complying with Congressional demands for the material in the complaint."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Watch Ex-CIA official break down the ‘three crimes’ Trump committed if Ukraine scandal is true

Published

on

President Donald Trump could be charged with committing three federal crimes if the whistleblower reports involving the White House seeking campaign interference from Ukraine are correct.

MSNBC "Deadline: White House" anchor Nicolle Wallace interviewed Jeremy Bash on Friday -- and worried about the safety of the whistleblower.

"The stakes could not be any higher, the risk to his career -- or her career -- and reputation and perhaps legal standing could not be any higher for this whistleblower. That's why we’re glad to be joined by national security analyst, former chief of staff of the CIA and Department of Defense, someone I wanted to talk to about this story all week, Jeremy Bash," Wallace said.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image