Quantcast
Connect with us

Boko Haram attacks four villages near Nigeria-Cameroon border

Published

on

A series of suspected Boko Haram attacks in four villages in Nigeria?s restive northeast killed several people, residents said Sunday, in the latest violence blamed on the Islamist insurgents.

The military was not immediately available to comment on the raids in Borno state, the hardest hit area during Boko Haram?s five-year extremist uprising, which has killed thousands.

ADVERTISEMENT

All of the targeted villages are in the Gamboru Ngala district near the border with Cameroon, where Boko Haram killed hundreds in a gruesome attack earlier this month.

The latest unrest hit the villages of Nuwari, Musari, Walori on Saturday, where gunmen, some dressed as soldiers and riding in 4×4 trucks, opened fire on civilians and razed much of the area, according to multiple witness accounts.

“They burnt all the villages and took away all our livestock,” said Nuwari resident Bunu Kaloma, providing details reported by other witnesses.

He said 15 people were killed in the spate of attacks but there were conflicting reports and it was not possible to establish a concrete death toll.

Separately on Thursday, gunmen reportedly attacked a wedding in nearby Kolma village.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They came in after dark while a wedding party was going on and went on shooting and tossing explosives into homes,” said area resident Bukar Mustapha.

The area has a poor mobile phone network and details of attacks often take days to emerge.

Borno residents have been subjected to nearly daily raids in 2014, with more than 2,000 people in the area killed already this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nigeria this month extended a year-long state of emergency in the area, but the extraordinary measure has not stemmed the bloodshed.

Boko Haram has been fighting Nigeria?s government to create an Islamic state in the north since 2009, but the conflict has received unprecedented global attention over the last six weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group?s April 14 mass abduction of more than 200 girls from a secondary school in Chibok, also in Borno, has drawn condemnation worldwide.

The United States, Britain, France and Israel are providing varying levels of support to Nigeria?s military to help find the girls.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News triggers outrage with graphic comparing how much stocks have risen after racist tragedies

Published

on

On Friday, Fox News displayed a graph that appeared to compare the amount the stock market has risen in the week after various racial tragedies, including the assassination of Martin Luther King, the beating of Rodney King, the Ferguson incident, and the death of George Floyd.

2. Here’s the video of the graphic as it aired on Fox News this evening. pic.twitter.com/Iww2DnzkkI

— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) June 5, 2020

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Bill Barr denies giving the order to gas protesters for Trump photo-op

Published

on

America's top law enforcement office on Friday denied giving the highly-controversial order to gas protesters prior to a photo-op with President Donald Trump holding a Bible.

"Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision," The Associated Press reports.

"Barr’s comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday were his most detailed explanation yet of what unfolded outside the White House earlier this week. They come after the White House and others said repeatedly that the attorney general ordered officers to clear the park," the AP reported. "Shortly after officers aggressively pushed back demonstrators, President Donald Trump — accompanied by Barr, Pentagon leaders and other top advisers — walked through Lafayette Park to pose for a photo at a nearby church that had been damaged during the protests."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Jeb Bush wonders why Republicans are not ‘stepping up’ to condemn racism

Published

on

Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL) wondered on Friday why more Republicans were not standing publicly against racism.

"I have said it before and I will say it again now: the GOP must not tolerate racism. Of any kind. At any time," his son, George P. Bush, the Texas Land Commissioner posted on Twitter.

He urged local GOP officials in Texas to resign for sharing racist posts on Facebook.

Jeb Bush praised the post.

"Proud of my son," he posted on Twitter.

"Are other Republican elected officials stepping up?" he wondered.

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/1269057568015605761

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image