A Boston man was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl he met at a Keith Urban concert over the weekend.
Country music singer Keith Urban’s Boston concert made news earlier this week after at least 46 fans were treated for alcohol-related illnesses, and 50 people were taken in to custody by police.
But on Monday, authorities disclosed that the booze-soaked fun turned violent in at least one case.
According to The Sun Chronicle, Mansfield police determined that 18-year-old Sean Murphy began kissing the 17-year-old girl after meeting her at the concert on Sunday, and then took her away from her friends to another part of the outdoor amphitheater. She said that she went with him because “she was afraid of what would happen” if she didn’t agree.
After removing the girl’s shorts and underwear, Murphy reportedly began having sex with her.
Police said that 15 or more concert-goers gathered around to watch, and even recorded the incident on their cell phones. Some of those photographs and videos had been recovered as evidence.
“My friend told me to look over there and there was a couple on the ground having intercourse. So we looked at it, and we took pictures and we thought it was consensual,” one witness told WFXT.
The attack only allegedly came to an end when a woman asked the victim if the act was consensual.
“Do you want this?” the woman was heard saying.
According to a police report, the girl said, “no,” and then a witness “saw the female break free and run.”
The girl’s friends later brought her to police, and gates to the venue were closed until the suspect was found.
The police report said that Murphy admitted that he had been intoxicated from drinking Jack Daniels, but “stressed that he did not force himself on her.” The report also said that he was overheard telling his parents on the phone that he “messed up.”
Murphy pleaded not guilty to charges of forcible rape at a court hearing on Monday.
In a statement on Tuesday, defense attorney Neil P. Crowley, who is representing Murphy, insisted that his client did not rape the girl.
“This was a consensual act, not a sexual assault. There are no allegations of force or violence put against him,” Crowley said. “This was a private act that regrettably occurred in a public place. Mr. Murphy deeply regrets this incident and I’m sure the young woman does as well.”
Watch the video below from WFXT, broadcast July 30, 2014.
CNN’s Acosta calls out Trump to his face: ‘Our record on delivering the truth is a lot better than yours’
CNN's Jim Acosta on Tuesday got into a heated exchange with President Donald Trump after the president attacked the integrity of his network during a press conference in India.
During the press conference, after Acosta asked Trump a question about Russian interference in the upcoming presidential election, Trump attacked CNN and accused the network of having "the worst record in broadcasting." He then made a reference to an unspecified "apology" that CNN supposedly made earlier in the week for reporting false information.
Acosta, however, was ready to hit back.
"Mr. President, I think that our record on delivering the truth is a lot better than yours," he replied.
Maddow reports on ‘jury tampering on a mass national scale’ — personally committed by Trump himself
The host of "The Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC warned her viewers on Monday that President Donald Trump is personally committing jury tampering with his attacks on Roger Stone jurors.
Maddow recapped viewers on the process that resulted in the current situation, quoting extensively from an op-ed written by one of the jurors.
"And now after that conviction, after roger stone's sentencing, the president of the united states is the person who is leading the charge to denigrate that process, to single out individual jurors -- including by name -- to make them into villains and to try and tear down any respect that any American might have for the legal process if it produced an outcome the president doesn't like," she explained.
Bernie Sanders campaign accepts apology from MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews: ‘We got to get past it’
MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews on Monday apologized to the Bernie Sanders campaign after comparing his dominance in the first three states of the 2020 presidential nomination to the fall of France to the Nazis in World War II.
Sanders senior advisor Chuck Rocha was asked on Fox News for response.
"Look, we all get hot and say things in the moment, I'm glad Chris apologized," Rocha said. "We got to move on and get past it, I'm glad he said what he had to say, I'm tired of folks on Twitter fighting with each other, it's time to win this election."