A California man described by prosecutors as a dangerous internet predator was sentenced on Friday to 37 years to life in prison for raping two women he met on dating websites including ChristianMingle.com, an attorney for one of the victims said.
Sean Patrick Banks, 39, must serve 85 percent of the sentence before becoming eligible for parole, attorney Gloria Allred said.
Banks, a former U.S. Navy lieutenant, was convicted of two counts of forced penetration, one count of forcible rape, one count of rape of an intoxicated woman and one count of burglary in the commission of one of the rapes by a San Diego County jury in June.
Banks said he would waive his right to appeal the ruling if the victims were made to take a polygraph test, according to Allred.
“To now suggest that the victims should take a polygraph test after they endured cross examination and the jury found beyond a reasonable doubt that Banks was guilty is insulting to the jury and the victims,” Allred said in an email.
Banks attorney, Brian White, could not be immediately reached for comment on Friday. White said after the conviction that there was no forensic evidence that the women had been raped.
Banks was arrested last year on charges of rape with a foreign object, forcible rape and burglary in the 2012 rape of a woman he met through ChristianMingle.com. Later, a second victim came forward to recount being raped in 2009, and additional charges were added.
Forensic evidence from Banks’ computer showed he used false identities to trawl for victims on dating sites including ChristianMingle.com, Match.com and PlentyofFish.com, according to prosecutor Daniel Williams III.
At one point in 2011, Banks flew to London to meet a former Miss California contestant who later told authorities about “a very frightening encounter she had with Banks,” Williams said.
Prosecutors accused Banks of contacting the woman after he was charged and telling her that if she came forward, she would face obstruction of justice prosecution. But the jury found him not guilty of that charge.
(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco, editing by William Hardy)
Chief Justice Roberts admonishes lawyers at Senate impeachment trial
Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court John Roberts made his first major intervention in President Donald Trump's impeachment trial shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday morning.
After House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) finished his closing arguments on why former National Security Advisor John Bolton should testify, the White House team went on the attack. Yelling and demanding apologies, the president's team was more animated than they'd been all night. Roberts then admonished the House and White House on their language.
Claiming the Senate is the "world's greatest deliberative body" -- despite what he had witnessed during 12 hours of the impeachment trial -- Roberts complained about language that was "not conducive to civil discourse."
White House lawyers begin yelling at Democrats during late-night impeachment trial — after Trump starts tweeting
President Donald Trump woke up and began tweeting around midnight EST during the Senate impeachment trial over the amendments over the rules. That's when a noticeable thing changed on the Senate floor: Trump's team started yelling.
Nearing 1 a.m. EST Tuesday morning while the president was tweeting about impeachment, his team began attacking Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY) personally. They called him a liar and accused him of attacking the president and demanded an apology. After nearly 12 hours this was the first time the White House got even remotely animated after a dull defense of the president.
Mick Mulvaney released treasure trove of OMB documents — 2 minutes before midnight
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Mick Mulvaney released a huge cache of documents on Tuesday evening -- minutes before the midnight deadline.
The documents were released to the ethics group American oversight, which had pursued a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the department.
"Two minutes before midnight, OMB released 192 pages of Ukraine-related records to American Oversight, including emails that have not been previously released," American Oversight announced.
"The files released tonight include emails sent by OMB Acting Director Russell Vought and Assoc Director for National Security Michael Duffey — two key players in the withholding of Ukraine aid — in on the morning of President Trump’s July 25 call with President Zelensky," the ethics group noted.