NBC cancels Bill Cosby's upcoming sitcom pilot over renewed rape claims

NBC canceled an upcoming project with veteran comedian Bill Cosby, the network said on Wednesday, after accusations that he sexually assaulted women resurfaced in recent weeks.


"We can confirm that the Cosby project is no longer in development," the network said in a statement, while declining to comment further.

The online movie streaming giant Netflix postponed the launch of the stand-up comedy special, “Bill Cosby 77."

Allegations that Cosby, 77, drugged and sexually assaulted several young women decades ago gained renewed attention after comedian Hannibal Buress called him a rapist during a stand-up comedy routine last month.

The move from Netflix comes just days after the airing of a National Public Radio interview in which Cosby, who is married, declined to answer questions about the sexual assault accusations.

He has never been charged with the alleged crimes.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Mary Milliken and Diane Craft)