The youngest son of Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara has opened an agency offering two-wheel tours of the Caribbean island nation on Harley-Davidsons, in a nod to his father’s passion for motorcycles.
The Marxist guerrilla’s storied motorbike journey through South America was immortalised in the 2004 film Motorcycle Diaries, directed by Brazil’s Walter Salles and starring Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal.
The trip, spanning from December 1951 to July 1952, took the 23-year-old revolutionary to Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela.
Now, Che’s son Ernesto Guevara wants to honour his father’s famous ride by giving visitors to Cuba a “unique” trip through the country on Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Prices start at $3,000 per person and go up to $5,800 for six or nine day trips. Airline costs are not included.
The itineraries give visitors a glimpse of “the varied landscapes of this beautiful island,” while also offering “intimate contact with a part of the history of a unique revolution,” according to the website of La Poderosa Tours, run by 49-year-old Ernesto, who is also a lawyer.
The company promises a luxury visit, including stays at five-star hotels and a visit to Che’s mausoleum.
“We will make your trip a unique experience, an unforgettable memoir. We will personally take care of every detail during your journey,” the website says.
The company’s name comes from Che’s own moniker for the British Norton 500 motorbike he rode through South America with Argentine companion Alberto Granado.
That trip left a strong impression on the young guerrilla, who was preparing to graduate from medical school at the time.
The tour company goes to lengths to emphasize its revolutionary roots. One of the guides is Camilo Sanchez — son of Cuban guerrilla Antonio Sanchez Diaz, also known as “Marcos” — a fighter killed during a 1967 battle.
The tour also includes a visit to Che’s base in colonial Havana and a trip to Santa Clara, a city 270 kilometres (168 miles) east of Havana that was the site of a key 1958 battle.
Rudy Giuliani admits ‘Fraud Guarantee’ paid him $500,000 to work for indicted associate
Rudy Giuliani admitted being paid a half a million dollars by an associate currently being held in federal custody, Reuters reported Monday.
"President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, was paid $500,000 for work he did for a company co-founded by the Ukrainian-American businessman arrested last week on campaign finance charges, Giuliani told Reuters on Monday. The businessman, Lev Parnas, is a close associate of Giuliani and was involved in his effort to investigate Trump’s political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, who is a leading contender for the 2020 Democratic Party nomination," Reuters reported.
John Bolton ripped Rudy Giuliani as a drug dealer and ‘hand grenade’: report
Then-National Security Advisor John Bolton was reportedly shocked by the shadow foreign policy being conducted by Rudy Giuliani, a top former National Security Council official testified to Congress on Monday, The New York Times reports.
"The effort to pressure Ukraine for political help provoked a heated confrontation inside the White House last summer that so alarmed John R. Bolton, then the national security adviser, that he told an aide to alert White House lawyers, House investigators were told on Monday," the newspaper reported. "Mr. Bolton got into a sharp exchange on July 10 with Gordon D. Sondland, the Trump donor turned ambassador to the European Union, who was working with Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, to press Ukraine to investigate Democrats, according to testimony provided to the investigators."
‘Vladimir Putin has something on Donald Trump’: Ambassador Sherman says the Kremlin must have kompromat
Former Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman concluded on Monday that Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin must have "something" on President Donald Trump.
"The latest reporting from The New York Times indicates that the thousands of troops that we have there, that the president moved, are now trapped. They don’t have an actual way out since Turkey has cut off the roads and the exit routes that they might use and so now there is the question of will there be an airlift? How will we get the U.S. troops out?" MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell asked.
"We haven’t had to get troops out like this since the fall of Saigon," Sherman replied. "This is going to be very, very difficult."