British-born comedian had been tipped to take over Comedy Central’s The Daily Show, but signs deal to stay at rival until 2017
John Oliver appears to be out of the running to succeed Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show, after he renewed his contract with HBO.
The British-born comedian had been tipped to take over the long-running Comedy Central show after Stewart announced he was stepping down last week .
Oliver, who was a correspondent on The Daily Show from 2006 to 2014, stood in for Stewart when he took a break to direct a movie in 2013.
After raising his profile as a successful stand-in for Stewart, he was offered his own show, Last Week Tonight, by HBO.
HBO announced on Tuesday that Oliver has agreed to extend his contract until 2017, a move that apparently puts him out of the race to take over from Stewart.
Michael Lombardo, president of programming at HBO, said: “We are incredibly proud to have John as part of the HBO family. His unique ability to deliver socially significant commentary week after week, along with his innate comedic brilliance, puts John in a class by himself.”
Other names tipped to succeed Stewart include Amy Schumer, Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais and Amy Poehler.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2015
In rebuke to Trump, US Congress blocks Saudi arms sales
The US House voted Wednesday to block $8.1 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia and other allies, a rebuke of Donald Trump that will likely lead to a veto by the president.
Lawmakers, many of whom are outraged with the kingdom over Riyadh's role in the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year, approved three resolutions that would prevent the controversial sales announced under emergency measures earlier this year by Trump.
The resolutions blocking the sales have already cleared the US Senate, and now go to the White House, where Trump is expected to issue a veto, the third of his presidency.
Six officials at Southwest Key, nonprofit running migrant child shelters, earned more than $1 million in 2017
The Texas-based group's former chief executive made $3.6 million that year.
Six high-ranking employees at a nonprofit organization housing thousands of migrant children for the federal government made at least $1 million for their work in 2017, according to tax filings released Tuesday.
The tax records show that Juan Sanchez, founder of Southwest Key Programs, the Texas-based nonprofit, earned $3.6 million in total compensation that year, which The Washington Post reported last week. They also showed that other prominent employees — including the group’s chief financial officer, who earned more than $2.4 million — were earning substantial, seven-figure salaries at the nonprofit.
‘Pure and simple evil’: MSNBC’s Morning Joe and Mika destroy Trump’s ‘racist and illegal’ taunts against Omar
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski warned that President Donald Trump's attacks on Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) were both illegal and racist -- as well as an incitement to violence.
The "Morning Joe" co-hosts were appalled by the crowd's reaction -- chanting "send her back" -- to Trump attacks at a Greensboro, North Carolina, rally.
"Republicans shamed themselves by not calling racism, racism," Scarborough said. "I saw some people actually write columns that used to be respected trying to excuse the president's language and saying it's not racist, but the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency that Donald Trump oversees that enforces laws against discrimination, specifically outlined such language that the president used last night and that his crowd used last night as an example of bias."