Quantcast
Connect with us

NBC host Brian Williams apologizes for ‘bungled’ story about getting shot down inside military helicopter

Published

on

'NBC Nightly News' host Brian Williams (Official Facebook page)

NBC Nightly News host Brian Williams apologized and recanted his story about being in a U.S. military helicopter as it was forced to land under fire in Iraq 12 years ago, Stars & Stripes reported.

“You are absolutely right and I was wrong,” Williams wrote on his Facebook page. “In fact, I spent much of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Politico reported that Williams has said for years that he was aboard a Chinook helicopter with members of the 159th Aviation Regiment when it was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) during a March 2003 mission.

He revisited the story last Friday while reporting on a tribute he prepared for Command Sgt. Major Tim Terpack during a New York Rangers game.

“Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry,” Williams said.

In fact, the helicopter Williams and his camera crew rode that day did not encounter any fire. The discrepancy was brought to light on his Facebook page by Lance Reynolds, who served as a flight engineer on the Chinook that actually was hit by the RPG and forced to land at a U.S. base west of Baghdad.

“Sorry dude, I don’t remember you being on my aircraft,” Reynolds wrote to Williams. “I do remember you walking up about an hour after we had landed to ask me what had happened. Then I remember you guys taking back off in a different flight of Chinooks from another unit and heading to Kuwait to report your ‘war story’ to the Nightly News. The whole time we were still stuck in Iraq trying to repair the aircraft and pulling our own Security.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area — and the fog of memory over 12 years — made me conflate the two, and I apologize,” Williams stated in his response.

His desire to honor Terpak’s service, Williams added, made him “switch aircraft.”

“Nobody’s trying to steal anyone’s valor,” he wrote. “Quite the contrary: I was and remain a civilian journalist covering the stories of those who volunteered for duty. This was simply an attempt to thank Tim, our military and Veterans everywhere — those who have served while I did not.”

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Stars & Stripes, NBC has reported the false story since March 2003, which annoyed several service members on the mission, including Mike O’Keeffe, who was a door gunner on the helicopter that was damaged.

“Over the years it faded,” O’Keefe said. “Then to see it last week it was, I can’t believe he is still telling this false narrative.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Williams’ mistaken report, as aired last Friday, below.

Update: Williams made an on-air correction on Wednesday, calling the false story “a bungled attempt” to pay tribute to military members. His statement can be seen below.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Pro-Trump internet trolls tried to hijack Nickelodeon’s kid’s survey on who should be president — and failed

Published

on

On Tuesday, Nickelodeon hosted its "Kids Pick The President" straw poll, in which young viewers of the network give their own opinion on who should win the presidential election. The poll has no electoral significance, given that kids cannot vote and given that the survey methodology is not scientific and lets anyone opt in regardless of how it balances the sample.

Despite this, pro-Trump internet trolls reportedly sought to hijack the results, spreading the message to get people to flood the poll with votes for President Donald Trump.

In the end, however, they couldn't even do it. Joe Biden won the poll, 53 percent to 47 percent.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Wisconsin sees ‘nightmare scenario’ of COVID cases — as Trump ignores medical advice for campaign rally

Published

on

Wisconsin residents saw a “nightmare scenario” situation unfold Tuesday as 5,262 COVID-19 cases rocked the state, resulting in 64 deaths as President Donald Trump held a large campaign rally with few masks and zero social distancing.

"This is no longer a slow-motion disaster," said Gregory Poland, director of the vaccine research group at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. "This is a disaster in warp speed. And it's maddening to me as a physician because a whole lot of people have died and are dying."

https://twitter.com/MJSphotog/status/1321224234270625794

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the state Department of Health Services reported 5,262 new cases and 64 deaths Tuesday, both records far above any previous daily counts. The death toll now stands at 1,852.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump’s website hacked and defaced to stop the ‘fake-news’ spread by the president: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump's website appeared to have been briefly hacked on Tuesday -- one week before the 2020 presidential campaign.

Visitors to the site briefly saw a fake DOJ takedown notice.

"This site was seized," the message read. "The world has had enough of the fake-news spreaded (sic) by President Donald J. Trump."

"It is time to allow the world to know the truth," the message continued.

The message also claimed "secret conversations" prove the Trump administration "is involved in the origin of the coronavirus."

There is no evidence that is the case, experts believe the virus originated in China.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE