Quantcast
Connect with us

Secret space stash: Trove of moon landing artifacts found in Neil Armstrong’s closet

Published

on

A treasure trove of objects that were supposed to have been left behind after the first moon landing have turned up in the closet of Neil Armstrong, the first man to step onto the lunar surface, the Smithsonian Institution has said.

Armstrong died in August 2012 and his wife, Carol, found the items from the 1969 lunar landing as she was cleaning out one of his home closets in Cincinnati, Allan Needell, a space history curator at the National Air and Space Museum, wrote in a recent blog.

ADVERTISEMENT

Among the objects are a camera that was mounted in the window of the Eagle lunar module to record the landing and two waist tethers. Armstrong used one of the tethers to support his feet during his rest period on the moon, Needell said.

The items were stashed in a white stowage bag informally known as a McDivitt Purse used aboard Eagle to store items.

“Needless to say, for a curator of a collection of space artifacts, it is hard to imagine anything more exciting,” Needell wrote.

The items were intended to be left behind on the moon but were instead brought back. Needell said that as far as he knew Armstrong had never discussed them and no one had seen them in the 45 years since he returned to Earth.

According to mission transcripts, Armstrong described the objects to astronaut Michael Collins, who stayed in orbit around the moon aboard the command ship, as “just a bunch of trash that we want to take back – LM parts, odds and ends, and it won’t stay closed by itself.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The camera and the tether that Armstrong used during his rest break are part of a temporary exhibition at the National Air and Space Museum.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Bill Trott)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Joe Biden has one key coronavirus question he wants answered: ‘Where are the tests, Mr. President?’

Published

on

Despite the inability to hold campaign rallies, the 2020 presidential campaign is continuing in spite of the COVID-19 coronavirus crisis.

With the response to coronavirus being the top public policy discussion in America, all eyes are focused on President Donald Trump's actions.

Trump had promised the nation that he would set up COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites in the parking lots of big-box retailers but has so far failed to deliver.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Banks are causing a cash crisis by tightening lending standards during coronavirus crisis

Published

on

Major banks in America are tightening access to credit as coronavirus shutdowns put households across America in dire financial shape, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

"Banks and financial-technology firms are starting to toughen their approval standards for new loans to consumers and small businesses. That means many people could find it hard to get credit just when they most need it, as the novel coronavirus pandemic puts thousands out of work," the newspaper reported.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

BUSTED: Florida’s GOP governor illegally denied Miami Herald access to coronavirus briefing

Published

on

Gov. Ron DeSantis denied the Miami Herald access to a COVID-19 coronavirus briefing, the newspaper's Tallahassee Bureau Chief reported Saturday.

"Gov. Ron DeSantis decided to violate the state's public meeting laws and chose to exclude the Miami Herald and Tampa Bay Times from a media briefing at the Capitol," Mary Ellen Klas reported.

"His media staff told another reporter, NSF's Jim Turner, that if he insisted that we be allowed in, Turner would be kept out," she noted.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image