A former New York City corrections officer fatally shot a man in a busy Brooklyn subway station on Tuesday night.
The 69-year-old shooter, who was not identified, got into an altercation with two men while riding the train before encountering them again in the mezzanine level of the Borough Hall subway station.
The two younger men were "talking trash" and harassing the older man, reported the New York Daily News.
“They were talking mad trash,” said 30-year-old Thomas Berry, who witnessed the incident. “They must have been drunk.”
He said one of the younger men said, “Oh, I got you now, my n****r,” as the retired corrections officer tried to board the train.
"(The older man) said, ‘I’m not your n****r, I’m not your boy,’” the witness said. “He said, ‘Leave me alone, don’t talk to me.’ He was being really calm.”
The dispute continued on the train, where the gunman and the victim, who was also not named, got into a physical struggle, and the 69-year-old fired a shot that struck the man in his torso around 6:40 p.m. local time, the New York Police Department said in a statement.
The victim was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.
All three men were black, witnesses said, although they said one of the younger men may have been Hispanic.
No arrests had been made in the incident, but police said the investigation was ongoing.
The New York Times reported that the shooter was a former officer with the city's Department of Correction, citing New York City Correction Officers' Benevolent Association President Norman Seabrook.
Watch this video report posted online by CBS New York:
(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; Editing by Toby Chopra)