Quantcast
Connect with us

Tamir Rice’s mother now living in a homeless shelter to avoid ‘killing field’ where police shot him dead

Published

on

The family of 12-year-old Tamir Rice rejected Cleveland officials’ request that they delay a civil suit against the city, citing mental trauma his fatal shooting at the hands of police has caused his mother, the Washington Post reported.

Rice’s family said in a court motion filed on Monday that his mother, Samaria Rice, “has since been forced to move to a homeless shelter because she could no longer live next door to the killing field of her son.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Attorneys for the city had requested that the family delay its suit while the November 2014 shooting is being investigated, saying it would protect the two officers involved, Frank Garmback and Timothy Loehmann from having to give statements before knowing if they will be charged in connection with the shooting.

WEWS-TV reported that Samaria Rice criticized the slow pace of the investigation in a press conference on Monday.

“I want to know, how long do I have to wait for justice?” she said. The family said at the press conference that it is being represented by attorney Benjamin Crump, who also worked for the family of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

“It is so sad that the face of police brutality in America is going to be the 12-year-old face of Tamir Rice,” Crump said, adding, “No one is being held accountable for the death of Tamir Rice.”

Rice was shot and killed what was later determined to be a toy gun. Footage of the incident shows officers shooting him within seconds of pulling up to his location, then handcuffing his sister while failing to provide medical help for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch video of Rice’s family’s press conference, as posted by WEWS on Monday, below.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘I do this for a living and I don’t know what the Republicans’ position is’: MSNBC reporter confused by GOP unemployment stance

Published

on

Capitol Hill reporter Garrett Haake confessed that he has no idea what the Republican officials want when it comes to the unemployment stimulus bill.

A bill was passed in May by Democrats in the House, but the Senate ignored the problem until the last minute, allowing the additional unemployment funds from the stimulus to sunset and leave Americans scrambling to pay their Aug. 1 rent or mortgages.

The Senate then gave up, handing the responsibility for the bill over to the White House and told them to negotiate with the House, but the White House is less interested in unemployment benefits and wants more corporate bailouts.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Andrew Cuomo rips Trump like never before: ‘This was the worst government blunder in modern history’

Published

on

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) on Monday accused President Donald Trump of presiding over "the worse government blunder in modern history."

At his daily COVID-19 briefing, Cuomo said that it was time for the president to hit the "reset button" on his handling of the pandemic.

"If we don't tell the truth on the reset, COVID will never end," the New York governor explained. "It will ricochet across the country. It will just bounce back and forth."

"This was a colossal blunder -- how COVID was handled by this federal government," he continued. "Shame on all of you. Six months, lives lost. Hit the reset button, yes."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump snaps at Jim Acosta for reminding him of coronavirus death toll: ‘Fake news CNN’

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Monday snapped at CNN's Jim Acosta when he reminded the president that the novel coronavirus so far has killed 155,000 Americans.

During a question-and-answer session with reporters, the president boasted that the United States had done an "amazing" job at handling the COVID-19 pandemic, at which point Acosta interrupted him and tried to ask him about the 155,000 people who have died from the disease in just five months.

"The U.S. has so many deaths," Acosta said.

"Hold it!" Trump replied.

"So many countries around the world..."

"Fake news CNN," he said. "Hold it. We have done a great job in this country. We haven't been given enough -- not me, Vice President Pence, the task force -- have not been given the kind of credit."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image