The Southern Baptist Convention declared this week that the Supreme Court did not have the authority to overturn bans on same-sex marriage because they were defending an institution that had been created by God.
At its annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio on Tuesday, the denomination prepared for a Supreme Court ruling that could effectively legalize marriage equality nationwide.
“WHEREAS, the redefinition of marriage to include same-sex couples will continue to weaken the institution of the natural family unit and erode the religious liberty and rights of conscience of all who remain faithful to the idea of marriage as the conjugal union of husband and wife,” the resolution said.
“Southern Baptists recognize that no governing institution has the authority to countermand God’s definition of marriage,” the statement continued. “No matter how the Supreme Court rules, the Southern Baptist Convention reaffirms its unwavering commitment to its doctrinal and public beliefs concerning marriage.”
In his presidential address to the 5,000 attendees on Tuesday, SBC leader Rev. Ronnie Floyd said that it was time for Christians to declare “spiritual warfare.”
“America: We stand believing that marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in a covenant commitment for a lifetime; we do not need to redefine what God himself has defined already,” Floyd opined. “”Now we await the outcome of the next possible Supreme Court ruling that could alter our nation’s belief and practice on traditional and biblical marriage, but also our historic commitment to religious liberty for all people.”
“When other denominations and leaders are beginning to relax their message to be more politically correct, will we rise up in faithfulness to believe and stand on His Word and for Jesus’ name?” he continued. “There is not one government, one Supreme Court, one court case, one editorial, one commentator, one liberal, one conservative, one world leader, one politician, one radical group, one demon or one of anything that can shut the doors Jesus Himself has opened for us.”
Watch the video below from the Southern Baptist Convention, recorded June 16, 2015.
CNN’s Jeffrey Toobin slams Twitter’s ‘corporate gibberish’ explanation of why they won’t enforce their rules against Trump
On CNN Tuesday, legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin laid into Twitter for their refusal to take down tweets from President Donald Trump falsely accusing MSNBC host and former Congressman Joe Scarborough of murdering a staffer — despite pleas from the staffer's family to make him stop.
"Twitter says it's deeply sorry about the pain, that they're working on how to figure out how to handle situations like this," said anchor Brianna Keilar. "I wonder if there's any legal recourse that this man has."
"I think frankly it's unlikely that he has any able to sue Twitter or even the president, but you know, Twitter is a private company," said Toobin. "They have rules. Like Greyhound buses have rules. You can't stay on a Greyhound bus if you break the rules. President Trump has broken the rules of Twitter over and over again, and Twitter has done nothing but put out statements of corporate gibberish like the one it did today."
‘This is pretty nuts’: Reporter grills Kayleigh McEnany over Trump’s Joe Scarborough murder smear
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany defiantly pushed back on criticism of President Donald Trump for suggesting that MSNBC host Joe Scarborough is guilty of murdering intern Lori Klausutis.
"The opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough was not a Donald Trump original thought, this has been going on for years, long before I joined the chorus," Trump wrote in a tweet, "about whether or not Joe could have done such a horrible thing? Maybe or maybe not, but I find Joe to be a total Nut Job, and I knew him well, far better than most. So many unanswered & obvious questions, but I won’t bring them up now! Law enforcement eventually will?"
Gov. Ron DeSantis: ‘Obviously’ Trump will ‘abide’ by safety rules if RNC convention is moved to Florida
Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) said he made a pitch to the White House this week for the Republican National Convention to be moved from North Carolina to Florida.
DeSantis revealed on Tuesday that he had spoken to White House officials about moving the convention after President Donald Trump threatened to pull the event from Charlotte unless Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper agreed to allow people to "fully occupy" the arena.
While speaking to reporters, the Florida governor insisted that Trump would follow public health guidelines if the event was moved to his state.