Quantcast
Connect with us

As militiamen stand guard, Army tells recruiters to treat all armed civilians as a threat

Published

on

The U.S. Army has warned personnel at recruitment centers to regard all armed civilians as a potential security threat.

Stars and Stripes reported on Thursday that the military is responding to the waves of civilians who have positioned themselves outside of recruitment centers in the name of protecting U.S. personnel. These armed non-service personnel say they are hoping to prevent more attacks like the one carried out on July 16 in Chattanooga, Tennessee by Mohammad Youssef Abdulazeez.

ADVERTISEMENT

Abdulazeez, 24, fired shots into a strip mall recruiting center and crashed his vehicle into a barrier at Navy installation before opening fire. The attacker killed five service personnel.

In the wake of the attack civilians armed with handguns, rifles and assault weapons have assembled outside recruitment centers and military facilities in Georgia, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Idaho and other states. They say they aim to gun down anyone who attacks, but the Army warned personnel that these people could pose a threat.

“I’m sure the citizens mean well, but we cannot assume this in every case and we do not want to advocate this behavior,” said a letter from Army Command Operations Center-Security Division.

Recruitment center personnel are advised not to interact or acknowledge the groups of armed civilians.

“If questioned by these alleged concerned citizens, be polite, professional and terminate the conversation immediately and report the incident to local law enforcement,” said the command letter.

ADVERTISEMENT

When notifying police, the instructions said, be sure to inform them that these civilians “may be armed and in possession of a conceal/carry permit.”

Stewart Rhodes — president of the right-wing militia group the Oath Keepers — urged the group’s members to station themselves outside recruitment centers prepared to kill.

“They’re sitting ducks,” Rhodes told the Associated Press on Tuesday. “They’d be better off if they were walking down the streets of Baghdad, because at least in Baghdad, they could move. Here, they’re stationary.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Military officials expressed concern about the civilians earlier this week when personnel at a Savannah, Georgia recruitment center arrived at work to find a man they did not recognize standing outside armed with both a rifle and a handgun.

An unnamed official told WFLA that there is “always some concern about safety for our soldiers and civilians when someone is walking around with weapons.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The Marine Corps issued a statement earlier this week that said, “It has come to our attention that many patriotic citizens have been standing armed guard outside recruiting stations across the country. While we greatly appreciate the support of the American public during this tragedy, we ask that citizens do not stand guard at our recruiting offices. Our continued public trust lies among our trained first responders for the safety of the communities where we live and work.”

Watch video about this story, embedded below:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Nancy Pelosi blisters Trump’s latest ‘anemic’ response to Coronavirus: ‘What he’s doing is too late’

Published

on

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) lashed out at President Donald Trump on Wednesday over his response to the Coronavirus.

While speaking to reporters at the U.S. Capitol, Pelosi slammed the president after he promised the epidemic "is going to go away."

"This is shameful," Pelosi said. "He puts forth a proposal now that is meager, anemic in terms of addressing this. Ebola, we did $5 billion. And now they're trying to take the ebola money and spend it here."

"What he's doing is late, too late, anemic," she added. "Hopefully we came make up for the loss of time but we have to have professionals in place, resources that are adequate and not use scare tactics about people coming back to our country."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

MAGA hat-wearing South Carolina voter casts ‘chaos’ vote for Bernie Sanders: ‘The best worst candidate’

Published

on

A Republican voter in South Carolina told Fox News that he voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Democratic Primary to help President Donald Trump's reelection chances.

The man, who was wearing a Make America Great Again hat, made the comments at a diner in Columbia Wednesday morning.

"I'm a Republican and a Trump supporter," he said. "But we have an operation chaos going on and all over the state we're encouraging Republicans to go vote for Bernie because we believe Bernie is the best worst candidate in contrasting his socialism against President Trump and his capitalism."

Watch the video below from Fox News.

Continue Reading
 

CNN

CNN’s Toobin unleashes hell on Trump’s ‘outrageous’ attacks on Stone jury

Published

on

On CNN Wednesday, chief legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin laid into President Donald Trump for his ongoing public attacks on the jurors who convicted his former campaign strategist and friend Roger Stone. Trump and his allies have been arguing that the verdict is invalid because the jury forewoman had a Twitter account in which she criticized the president.

"To be honest, I don't know what Judge Jackson is going to do. I don't really know how significant these statements are. So I wouldn't make a prediction about what she's going to do about the new trial situation," said Toobin. "But as for what the president said, it is so outrageous to attack jurors. I mean, these are ultimately private figures. They didn't volunteer. The judges, you know, need jurors. The legal system needs jurors. And the idea that the president would single out jurors repeatedly for criticism..."

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image