Quantcast
Connect with us

Cable network announces ‘live exorcism’ from house that inspired classic Linda Blair film

Published

on

Somewhere between science and superstition, the Destination America cable network is promoting what it calls a live exorcism to be aired on Oct. 30, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The network announced the program on Thursday, saying it would emanate from the St. Louis home that was the inspiration behind the William Peter Blatty novel The Exorcist, which genuinely disturbed audiences when it was released in 1973.

ADVERTISEMENT

“By actually exorcising this iconic house live, Destination America will do what it does best — bringing never before seen experiences to television,” the network’s general manager Marc Etkind said following the announcement at the Television Critics Association’s summer press event.

The “exorcism” will be conducted by the “Tennessee Wrath Chasers,” the paranormal investigative team featured on one of the network’s regular programs, Ghost Asylum. They will be joined by New York-based psychic Chip Coffey, and the network said it is trying to recruit a Catholic priest to take part in the event.

Destination America also reportedly plans to interact with viewers online during the broadcast by posting live feeds from throughout the house, in which a boy later identified as “Roland Doe” was reportedly the subject of exorcisms by Roman Catholic Church priests. The purpose of the October event is to see whether there are “lingering spirits” on the property.

As the pop-culture site Nerdist reported earlier this year, the film, considered a horror classic, confounded moviegoers upon its initial release.

“When the movie hit theaters, audiences were just not prepared for this movie,” Eric Diaz wrote. “Many people walked out of the theater, absolutely terrified, and some even fainted because what they were witnessing.”

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Tribune Media, the network reaches just over 57 million homes in the US.

Watch footage from some of the early showings of the film, as posted online, below.

ADVERTISEMENT

[Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated the property was currently vacant.]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Masks take center stage in presidential race as Biden slams Trump for ‘costing people’s lives’

Published

on

In an interview with CNN's Dana Bash on Tuesday, former Vice President Joe Biden laid into President Donald Trump for his comments belittling his decision to wear a mask at the Memorial Day events at the beginning of the week.

"He's a fool, an absolute fool to talk that way," said Biden. He added that "This macho stuff ... It's costing people's lives."

Trump has frequently refused to don a mask while speaking to the media, even when he is in public places where masks are required.

Watch below:

“He’s a fool, an absolute fool to talk that way,” Biden to @DanaBashCNN about Trump belittling his wearing of a mask. “This macho stuff ... It’s costing people’s lives.”

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump says he can ‘absolutely’ force governors to reopen churches if he decides to do so

Published

on

At Tuesday's coronavirus press briefing, President Donald Trump was pressed on whether he really has the authority to force governors to allow houses of worship to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic. "Can you explain what authority you had in mind when you said that you would do that?" asked a reporter.

The president emphasized that he does have the power — but did not elaborate on how specifically he would do so, and added that he doesn't think he will have to.

"I can absolutely do it if I want to," said Trump. "I don't think I'm going to have to, because it's starting to open up. We need our churches and our synagogues and our mosques. We want them open, churches, synagogues, mosques, and other — we want them open and we want them open as soon as possible."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump continues pushing conspiracy theories about Joe Scarborough — immediately after reporter tells him about widower begging him to stop

Published

on

At Tuesday's White House press briefing, President Donald Trump was asked by reporters if he was aware of the letter from the widower of deceased congressional aide Lori Klausutis, begging the president to stop promoting conspiracy theories that she had been murdered by former representative and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough.

The president replied, "Yeah I have." However, almost immediately after, he used the moment to continue pushing the conspiracy theory, adding, "As you know, there's no statute of limitations."

Asked if he's seen the distressed letter from the widower of Lori Klausutis about Trump turning her death into fodder, Trump says "yeah I have," then continues propagating his conspiracy nonsense, then says, "As you know, there's no statute of limitations."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image