Quantcast
Connect with us

Don’t shoot! Fugitive bank robber recaptured after he stars in horror movie

Published

on

Convict Jason Stange arrested by US marshals on final day of shoot for slasher-flick Marla Mae, but producers say his scenes will not be cut

A convicted armed bank robber who went on the run in 2006 has been recaptured by US authorities after turning up as a villain in a low-budget horror movie .

Jason Stange, 44, was arrested on Friday by US marshals, who tracked him down to the capital of Washington state, Olympia, where he had been shooting the film Marla Mae .

ADVERTISEMENT

Stange was photographed in an extensive piece about the movie in the local newspaper, the Olympian , and was clearly shown looking amiable and relaxed in seven separate shots.

Fortunately for the film-makers, the $8,000 production had just wrapped. Stange, who is credited under the name Jason Strange on the movie’s IMDb page , was stopped by the authorities after leaving the set to buy cigarettes. He was allowed to return his costume before he was taken to jail.

Producer Brandon Roberts said Stange was “a great guy” and a talented actor who had “really nailed the audition” for the part of Dr Lourdes, an abortion clinic doctor who commits a deranged act.

“Everyone really liked him a lot,” Roberts told the Tacoma News Tribune. It is understood first-time director Lisa van Dam-Bates, who also plays Marla, has decided to keep Stange’s scenes in the movie.

The fugitive was sentenced to 117 months behind bars in 2006 after pleading guilty to an armed bank robbery. Stange had been living in a halfway house but violated his probation in July last year by leaving without permission, resulting in the issue of a warrant for his arrest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Producers say Marla Mae is inspired by the cult classic horror films of the 1980s. The official synopsis says “the story follows modest twentysomething Marla, who must uncover the diabolical reason for her boyfriend’s death while being sought after [sic] by local Olympia police who suspect her of the crime”.

Producers now hope to secure financing to release the feature-length film next year.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2015

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Demand grows for Pete Buttigieg to come clean about his time at ‘corporate greed machine’ McKinsey

Published

on

"The political risk is not that his former employer, a multibillion-dollar corporate entity that promotes fraud across the globe, will be mad at him. It's what he would have to disclose."

Days after reports surfaced about the global consulting firm McKinsey's work advising the Trump administration on immigration policy, calls are growing louder for South Bend, Indiana mayor and 2020 presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg to disclose details about the work he did for the company.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Deutsche Bank busted in money-laundering scheme case

Published

on

Prosectors in Frankfurt have dropped their investigation into two Deutsche Bank employees who were accused of aiding tax evasion schemes in the Virgin Islands, due to "lack of suspicion." The institution has instead been fined for compliance lapses.

“With the closure of these proceedings it is clear that the prosecutors have not found any instances of criminal misconduct on the part of Deutsche Bank employees following the raid of our Frankfurt office in November 2018,” Deutsche Bank spokesman Joerg Eigendorf said in a statement.

“The investigation that has now been closed due to lack of sufficient suspicion had a heavy impact on Deutsche Bank last year,” he added. “It is true that the bank had weaknesses in its control environment in the past. We identified these weaknesses and we have addressed them in a disciplined manner.”

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

North Carolina towns forced to cancel Christmas celebrations over fear of violence from right wing extremist groups

Published

on

Two North Carolina towns are canceling their annual Christmas celebration parades "amid fears of violence due to Confederate groups’ participation in the events," The Daily Beast reports.

Citing a “potential for violence,” for the first time in over 70 years the town of Wake Forest, North Carolina says it will have no Christmas parade. Garner, NC, has also canceled its Christmas parade.

The Daily Beast cites "reports that Garner had plans to include a float sponsored by a chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans but said social-media posts led town officials to believe 'the event could be targeted for disruption.'"

Continue Reading