Bangladesh police said Friday they have arrested two suspected members of a banned Islamist group over the brutal killing of an atheist blogger.
Niloy Chakrabarti was hacked to death at his home in Dhaka last Friday by a gang of men, the fourth such murder in Bangladesh this year.
Police said they arrested Saad-al-Nahin and Masum Rana in Dhaka late Thursday, and that both men had confessed to being members of the hardline Ansarullah Bangla Team (ABT), one of two groups that have claimed the killing.
Nahin already faces a charge of attempted murder relating to a 2013 attack on atheist blogger Asif Mohiuddin. He was on bail when he was arrested.
“The police will ask the court for leave to hold them for 10 days for intensive interrogation on Friday,” said a statement.
Chakrabarti was the fourth secular blogger to be killed since February when Bangladeshi-born US citizen Avijit Roy was hacked to death in Dhaka.
In a Facebook post in May, Chakrabarti said he had been followed by two young men, but police had refused to register the complaint and instead advised him to leave the country.
The Bangladesh branch of Al-Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS), Ansar al-Islam, also claimed the killing, according to monitoring group SITE.
Bangladesh has been criticised for failing to do enough to protect its secular bloggers.
Activists expressed outrage this week when Bangladesh’s national police chief A.K.M. Shahidul Hoque warned bloggers they might face jail for posting material deemed offensive following Chakrabarti’s murder.
Three more major NRA leaders are out — as gun group continues downward spiral
Tuesday, three more members of the National Rifle Association have stepped down making it a total of seven NRA board members to leave in the last several months, CNN reported.
The first three were board members who complained about the money NRA chief Wayne LaPierre used to pay for a Beverly Hills wardrobe. Their responsibilities were cut and they left shortly after.
Professional sports shooter Julie Golob left the board just one week ago before her three-year term was up.
Minor ‘was forced to lose her virginity’ to Jeffrey Epstein — and abuse continued after plea deal: lawsuit
Accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein is facing further allegations of sexual abuse.
"Three new accusers have sued the estate of Jeffrey Epstein alleging that he abused them with sex toys and forced them to engage in other sex acts, according to court documents reviewed by multiple outlets," Vice News reported Tuesday.
"One woman said she was forced to lose her virginity to him after they met when she was 17. Another said that Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s alleged madam, taught her the 'proper way to give a blow job' to Epstein after they met," Vice reported.
‘It’s time for decent people to push back against Fox News’ on antifa: columnist
President Donald Trump and Fox News are turning American values upside down with their fascist propaganda, Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Will Bunch explained on Tuesday.
"It seems like if you were truly sincere about the whole 'Make America Great Again' thing — that is, if it weren’t just a campaign slogan that jibes with your xenophobic branding and can move tens of thousands of red hats at $25 a pop — then one might actually want to celebrate America’s first victory against fascism," Bunch wrote.