Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has stepped into the political ring, firmly backing Donald Trump in the billionaire tycoon’s bid for the White House in 2016.
Tyson issued his endorsement late Monday on HuffPost Live, saying he would like to see a business-minded commander in chief after eight years of President Barack Obama.
“He should be president of the United States, that’s what he should be,” Tyson said when asked his opinion of Trump.
“Let’s try something new. Let’s run America like a business, where no colors matter,” he added. “Whoever can do the job, gets the job.”
The two celebrity figures have known each other for decades.
Trump hosted the title bout — all 91 seconds of it — between a victorious Mike Tyson and Michael Spinks in Atlantic City in 1988. He has also served as a financial advisor for the boxer, according to the New York Times.
Asked if he was endorsing The Donald, Tyson did not hesitate.
“I would, yeah. I like Trump,” he said.
Trump seized on the publicity, tweeting overnight: “Thanks Iron Mike, greatly appreciated!”
Many see the early months of the primary race as Round 1 in a 12-round title bout that climaxes on election day November 8, 2016.
Trump squares off Wednesday night against nine Republican rivals in their third nationally televised debate of the primary season.
White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths
The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.
On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."
On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.