Quantcast
Connect with us

Chris Brown thanks ‘strong New Zealand women’ for support

Published

on

American R&B singer Chris Brown on Friday thanked New Zealand women’s advocates for supporting his plan to perform in the country, despite a domestic violence conviction which could see him banned.

Brown’s 2009 conviction for assaulting his then-partner pop star Rihanna means he may be refused entry to New Zealand, even though tickets for a December 18 concert in Auckland went on sale this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

In order to perform, Brown needs to apply for a special dispensation from immigration officials, which as of last week had not been granted.

But the Grammy winner has found support from an unlikely source — Maori women’s advocates who say Brown appears to have reformed and could send a powerful message against domestic violence.

A string of high-profile advocates, such as former Women’s Refuge chief Merepeka Raukawa-Tait, have backed Brown and offered to hold a traditional Maori welcome for him.

Former Maori Party chief Dame Tariana Turia said Maori youth could relate more to an anti-domestic violence message from 26-year-old Brown than one delivered by indigenous elders.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Good, bad, ugly or otherwise, the truth of it is that young people are more likely to be in tune with Chris Brown than they are with one of us,” the 71-year-old said this week.

Brown acknowledged the “amazing” Maori women’s stance on Friday.

“Nothing more amazing than strong women,” he tweeted. “Thank you to Dame Tariana Turia and everyone who showed their support in NZ.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Support for Brown in New Zealand is not unanimous, with government lawmaker Judith Collins saying last month: “We’ve got enough wife-beaters in this country, he should just bugger off.”

Brown’s also faces being banned from Australia because of his past, and he offered this week to raise awareness of domestic violence there if his “One Hell of a Nite” tour is allowed to go ahead.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

CNN

Rick Santorum rips into Corey Lewandowski’s ‘flippant’ admission that he’s happy to lie to the media

Published

on

During his testimony before the House Judiciary Committee, President Donald Trump's former campaign adviser Corey Lewandowski — who was hoping to leverage his appearance trashing Democrats and the Russia investigation for a Senate run in New Hampshire — was forced to admit that he constantly lies on air.

On CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360," even former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), a staunch defender of the president, was aghast at this.

"Senator, isn't it kind of a weird way to run for Senate by admitting that you're happy to lie to the American people?" asked Cooper. "I know he was phrasing it as lying to the media, lying to reporters, but, you know, it's not as if — the end result is you're lying to the American people. You are giving people false information. And you're fine with that? You have no moral problem with that?"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Right-wingers have a full-blown freakout over Kavanaugh revelations — and it could blow up in their faces

Published

on

Do Republicans think “men are the real victims of sexism” is a winning argument going into the 2020 election? That sounds preposterous, but there are strong indications that Donald Trump and other leading Republicans believe they can win by feeding a “victim mentality” in men, a mentality they otherwise tend to decry when detected in actual victims.

On Sunday, the New York Times published an article by the authors of a new book about Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, introducing more corroborating evidence for claims that Kavanaugh had a history throughout high school and college of getting trashed and then sexually abusing his female classmates. That story, almost a year after Kavanaugh’s momentous confirmation hearings, was interesting further evidence that Kavanaugh likely perjured himself before the Senate. Ultimately, it doesn’t really change anything, since there’s little reason to believe that anyone actually believed Kavanaugh was telling the truth at the time.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Air Force admits it ‘would’t be surprised’ if they were ‘Trump Turnberry’s largest customer’

Published

on

The Air Force has not only been staying at Trump's resorts for three years, but they were also likely the largest customer of Trump's Scottish golf club.

Washington Post reporters David Fahrenthold and Jonathan O'Connell outed President Donald Trump for working his official relationship with the Saudi royal family so they'd stay at his hotels. Politico reporter Natasha Bertrand uncovered the fact that the U.S. Air Force was being used to funnel cash to the president's companies.

Trump's Turnberry resort was losing money until he was able to reroute Air Force plans to land in Scotland to refuel instead of a military base. While that might cost American taxpayers significantly more money, it was good business for the president. Now the resort is doing extremely well.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image