Fox News host Bill O’Reilly was forced to concede on Thursday that correspondent Jesse Watters made some errors in a piece focusing on the Muslim community in Dearborn, Michigan. At the same time, however, he insisted that Watters meant no harm.
“Wouldn’t you say that it was satire, and pretty much good-natured satire?” O’Reilly asked guest Dawud Walid.
“I don’t think it really was satire,” said Walid, the executive director for the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). “Especially when you have people making comments about ‘honor killings,’ and you go on your Facebook page, Bill — and it’s not your fault. But because of that story, people are talking about ‘Bomb Dearborn.'”
Both Walid and Dearborn Mayor Jack O’Reilly — no relation to the Factor host — criticized Watters’ segment on Wednesday in which he asked Muslim residents questions such as “Do you like Christmas?” and “Which way is Mecca?”
The segment also featured a local man calling the city’s Muslim community “bad” and describing it as unfriendly, as well as an allegation that there was an “honor killing” in Dearborn last year.
As Walid said on the show, several commenters on the Fox host’s Facebook page left anti-Islamic comments after it aired, including “Deport all of the towel heads” and “Muslim men, women and children should be put to death.” O’Reilly dismissed these comments as coming from “nuts.”
Walid also pointed out that the “honor killing” allegation was false, as was one remark in the segment about a “condom killing.”
“At the end of the day, the Dearborn community is systematically miscategorized,” he said. “We’ve all types of nuts that come into Dearborn, and these types of depictions just give nuts more fuel to come into Dearborn based on false stereotypes.”
O’Reilly then compared the Dearborn segment to one aired last week featuring Catholics.
“People understand that this is done in a satirical way,” he argued. “That’s why you’re overreacting. However, your points about ‘honor killings’ and stonings and things like that, that’s my fault as an editor. I should have said, ‘You know what? You can’t back this up — and believe me, I’m glad you contacted us ’cause it won’t happen again — that there is any accusation of violence or something like that, we’ll check it out. If it doesn’t check, we’ll cut it. But overall, it was a gentle piece, and you know it was gentle.”
Watch the interview, as aired on Thursday, below.
Ex-GOP senator hammers lawmakers quaking in their boots out of fear of Trump: ‘Why are you there?’
Appearing on CNN on Wednesday morning, retired Sen. William Cohen (R-ME) hammered members of his own party still sitting in the Senate who refuse to take on Donald Trump, saying they are failing the country and themselves by standing by in fear.
Speaking with CNN hosts Poppy Harlow and Jim Sciutto, Cohen said kowtowing to the president is nothing new, but has grown worse over the past ten years.
"Some of it has to do with external pressures, that of social media, talk radio, specific channels that have a particular view and then hammer that view home to the constituents who then pressure the members of Congress," he explained. "But you have to ask yourself: Why are you a senator? Why are you there? Are you acting out of sheer fear that if you speak up and take a position that's controversial you'll be punished?"
Nancy Pelosi blisters Trump’s latest ‘anemic’ response to Coronavirus: ‘What he’s doing is too late’
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) lashed out at President Donald Trump on Wednesday over his response to the Coronavirus.
While speaking to reporters at the U.S. Capitol, Pelosi slammed the president after he promised the epidemic "is going to go away."
"This is shameful," Pelosi said. "He puts forth a proposal now that is meager, anemic in terms of addressing this. Ebola, we did $5 billion. And now they're trying to take the ebola money and spend it here."
"What he's doing is late, too late, anemic," she added. "Hopefully we came make up for the loss of time but we have to have professionals in place, resources that are adequate and not use scare tactics about people coming back to our country."
MAGA hat-wearing South Carolina voter casts ‘chaos’ vote for Bernie Sanders: ‘The best worst candidate’
A Republican voter in South Carolina told Fox News that he voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Democratic Primary to help President Donald Trump's reelection chances.
The man, who was wearing a Make America Great Again hat, made the comments at a diner in Columbia Wednesday morning.
"I'm a Republican and a Trump supporter," he said. "But we have an operation chaos going on and all over the state we're encouraging Republicans to go vote for Bernie because we believe Bernie is the best worst candidate in contrasting his socialism against President Trump and his capitalism."
Watch the video below from Fox News.