The alleged gunman from Elizabeth that left three people dead in a Pennsylvania shooting spree told investigators a voice told him not to be so "picky" with his victims, a detective testified Tuesday. "The voice was telling (Todd West), 'Just eat, eat, stop being so picky,'" Allentown, Pa., police Detective John Brixius III testified. When West…
Stories Chosen For You
On Wednesday's edition of MSNBC's "The Beat," former Watergate prosecutor Nick Akerman laid out the significance of former Trump White House Counsel Pat Cipollone being subpoenaed by DOJ investigators to speak to a grand jury as part of their investigation into the plot to overthrow the 2020 presidential election.
This development, argued Akerman, could pose a new and grave legal threat to the former president.
"I want us to really be clear about what's happening," said anchor Ari Melber. "There is this thing, a bias in the human mind, and certainly in the news media, where you get tired of something. You say, I heard about Cipollone, so what. But from what I understand, the worst day ever in this whole thing is now, because this isn't the whole thing. This is the federal criminal probe. For someone who says 'Enough with Pat,' can you explain that?"
"I think that this is actually the worst day for Donald Trump, because Pat Cipollone is going to be talking more before the grand jury," said Akerman. "The January 6 Committee — they were concerned about getting him in there, getting Pat in there. But they bent over backwards. They allowed him, basically, to claim executive privilege with any conversations he had with Donald Trump. They allowed him to claim attorney-client privilege. None of this is going to go anywhere with the feds. He is going to claim privileges with individual questions. They will take him to a court judge, who is going to order him to testify and tell him there is no privilege. He could appeal it to the circuit court, but all of this will go much quicker behind closed doors."
Akerman proceeded to explain another key difference between the DOJ investigation and the January 6 Committee that is relevant for Cipollone.
"Unlike the committee, the Department of Justice doesn't have to worry about midterm elections, and the fact that they may not be around next year," said Akerman. "That's not going to happen. I think that the Department of Justice is going to get a lot more information from Pat Cipollone. If he thought that was his worst experience going before the committee, he is in for a major surprise when he appears before that grand jury."
Nick Akerman on Pat Cipollone's questioning by the DOJ www.youtube.com
Even after President Joe Biden was inaugurated, coup-memo John Eastman was still attempting to overturn the election in fealty to former President Donald Trump according to a bombshell new report.
"John Eastman, the conservative lawyer whose plan to block congressional certification of the 2020 election failed in spectacular fashion on Jan. 6, 2021, sent an email two weeks later arguing that pro-Trump forces should sue to keep searching for the supposed election fraud he acknowledged they had failed to find," The New York Times reported. "On Jan. 20, 2021, hours after President Biden’s inauguration, Mr. Eastman emailed Rudolph W. Giuliani, former President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, proposing that they challenge the outcome of the runoff elections in Georgia for two Senate seats that had been won on Jan. 5 by Democrats."
The newspaper says it authenticated the previously undisclosed email by people who were on the Trump campaign at the time.
“A lot of us have now staked our reputations on the claims of election fraud, and this would be a way to gather proof,” Eastman wrote. “If we get proof of fraud on Jan. 5, it will likely also demonstrate the fraud on Nov. 3, thereby vindicating President Trump’s claims and serving as a strong bulwark against Senate impeachment trial.”
A lawyer for Eastman did not respond to the newspaper's request for comment.
"Mr. Eastman’s message also underscored that he had not taken on the work of keeping Mr. Trump in office just out of conviction: He asked for Mr. Giuliani’s help in collecting on a $270,000 invoice he had sent the Trump campaign the previous day for his legal services," The Times reported. "The charges included $10,000 a day for eight days of work in January 2021, including the two days before Jan. 6 when Mr. Eastman and Mr. Trump, during meetings in the Oval Office, sought unsuccessfully to pressure Vice President Mike Pence to go along with the plan to block congressional certification of the Electoral College results on Jan. 6."
The newspaper could find no evidence Eastman was ever paid.
Read the full report.
Joseph Cuffari, the Dept. of Homeland Security Inspector General who neglected to timely inform Congress of losses of data on cell phones of Secret Service agents and DHS officials during the lead up to and the day of the 2021 insurrection was the subject of a report that found he violated ethics guidelines.
Cuffari "previously was accused of misleading Justice Department investigators and running 'afoul' of ethics regulations while he was a federal agent in charge of a DOJ inspector general field office in Tucson, according to a newly disclosed government report," The Washington Post reports Wednesday evening.
In that report "investigators said they did 'not believe' Joseph V. Cuffari’s explanation for why he failed to inform his supervisors — against federal rules — about his testimony in a lawsuit brought by a federal prisoner."
The authors of the report said, “We concluded Cuffari’s actions violated the IG manual’s prohibition on unethical conduct,” the Post states. Though never publicly released, the report "also noted that he may have violated guidelines by using his government email to lobby for a position as inspector general for the Arizona National Guard, among other issues."
There are now questions about Cuffari's vetting after being nominated by then-President Donald Trump to "one of the most important oversight jobs in government, experts said, and about his suitability to lead a staff of 750 auditors and investigators with oversight of an agency with a workforce of 240,000 and a $50 billion budget."
In addition to the wiped Secret Service cell phones, many are alarmed by news top Trump Dept. of Homeland Security officials and Pentagon officials' phones were also wiped after January 6.
The former Director of the United States Office of Government Ethics, Walter Shaub, on Wednesday afternoon called for Cuffari to be terminated.
"President Biden, fire this corrupt DHS inspector general. Cuffari must go!" tweeted Shaub, now a Senior Ethics Fellow at the Project on Government Oversight (POGO).
On Monday, Politico reported Cuffari sent an email to his staff calling the criticism "meritless."
"Cuffari didn’t specify which criticisms were, in his view, without merit," Politico added. "But two hours after he sent his note, a pair of House committee chairs blasted out a letter saying they’d obtained evidence showing Cuffari’s office 'may have secretly abandoned efforts to collect text messages from the Secret Service more than a year ago.'