The family of a Michigan teen who was shot to death by an Eaton County deputy after flashing his bright lights filed a federal lawsuit this week.
In February, 17-year-old Deven Guilford had flashed his lights because he believed Sgt. Jonathan Frost had not turned down his brights. Frost pulled over Guildford for flashing his bright lights within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle.
The traffic stop which was partially recorded on Guildford’s cell phone shows the teen refusing to hand over his driver’s license, registration or proof of insurance. The deputy also repeatedly refused requests for his badge number.
Frost pulled Guildford from the vehicle and said that he was forced to deploy his stun gun after the teen failed to comply with orders to lay on his stomach and put his hand behind his back. However, probes from the stun gun did not fully embed in the teen and an altercation ensued.
The scuffle ended in a nearby road ditch with Frost shooting Guildford seven times.
In June, Eaton County Prosecutor Doug Lloyd declined to press charges against Frost.
“No one wins in these particular situations, but it’s the prosecutor’s responsibility to look at the facts, make a determination from the facts — was there a crime or was there not a crime?” Lloyd said at the time.
Guilford’s parents announced this week that a lawsuit had been filed in federal court against Frost and Eaton County. The suit alleges that the “entire course of action was illegal and in violation of Deven’s constitutional rights.”
According to the lawsuit, Michigan state law does not prevent the flashing of bright lights for a short period of time.
“The acts of FROST in stopping, demanding identification, ordering GUILFORD from the car, arresting him as if he were a felon, tasing him and then killing him, were all separate and distinct illegal and unreasonable seizures under the 4th Amendment,” the suit states.
Cynthia Heenan of Constitutional Litigation Associates, which is representing the family, told the Lansing State Journal that Guilford’s death was part of a “disturbing trend of demanding 100 percent compliance with police authority, coupled with zero tolerance of risk of harm to police officers.”
“Whatever happened to “protect and serve?” she asked.
Read the lawsuit and watch video of the incident below.
‘He’s lost his marbles’: CNN reporter burns Trump lawyer for death threat against ex-election security official
CNN White House correspondent John Harwood on Tuesday hammered Trump attorney Joe diGenova for issuing death threats to former Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director Chris Krebs.
On Monday, diGenova told right-wing talk show host Howie Carr that Krebs, who was fired by President Donald Trump for verifying that the 2020 election was secure, should be "drawn and quartered" and "taken out at dawn and shot."
‘It’s a hustle’: Morning Joe panel scorches Trump for scamming fans out of $150 million for his ‘clown car’ lawyers
The crew at MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Tuesday had some unkind words for President Donald Trump's continued flailing bids to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.
During a segment on the president's all-but-futile battle to prevent states from certifying the election results, co-host Mika Brzezinski pointed to new reporting from the Washington Post showing that Trump and his campaign have raised over $150 million since the end of the 2020 election, much of which has been sent by small donors who believe they are supporting the president's efforts to prove the election was stolen from him.
‘Shameless’ GOP senator now demands ‘transparency’ from Biden after ignoring Trump’s ‘sleazy dealings’ for years: Morning Joe
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough hammered Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) for demanding "transparency" from Joe Biden's nominees.
The Texas Republican pointed to a New York Times report that some of Biden's candidates had ties to consulting and investment firms that could present ethics problems, and the "Morning Joe" host said the irony was rich coming at the tail end of Donald Trump's presidency.