Quantcast
Connect with us

Five injured in stabbing spree at University of California Merced campus

Published

on

An attacker stabbed five people on the campus of a California university on Wednesday and was later shot and killed by police, school officials said.

The University of California Merced put out several short statements on Twitter saying the campus had been locked down after the morning incident and classes were canceled. It urged students to stay where they were.

Two of the stabbing victims were flown out by medical helicopter and three were treated on campus, the school said. All were conscious, it added.

The school initially said the suspect had been apprehended, but campus police later said officers had shot and killed the suspect. The school also initially said all five victims were students, but later rescinded that statement.

John Price, chief executive officer of Artisan Construction which was remodeling part of the school building where the attack occurred, told the Merced Sun-Star newspaper that his son was working on the project when he was stabbed.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They heard a scuffle in the classroom right across from where they were working and it sounded like a fight. So (my son) opened the door and the guy lunged at him,” Price told the newspaper.

The stabbing attack comes about a month after a gunman killed nine people at a community college in Oregon, ranking it among the deadliest of dozens of U.S. mass shootings over the past two years.

The city of Merced, where the newest addition to the University of California system is located, is some 135 miles southeast of San Francisco. The school has about 6,700 students, according to its website.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in New York; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump: Iran claim to break up CIA network ‘totally false’

Published

on

US President Donald Trump on Monday denied Iran's claim that it dismantled a CIA spy ring and arrested 17 suspects with alleged links to the US intelligence agency.

"The report of Iran capturing CIA spies is totally false. Zero truth," Trump tweeted.

"Just more lies and propaganda (like their shot down drone) put out by a Religious Regime that is Badly Failing and has no idea what to do."

"Their Economy is dead, and will get much worse. Iran is a total mess!" Trump added.

Earlier Monday a top Iranian counter-intelligence official told local reporters that the 17 suspects were all Iranians working in "sensitive centers" and the private sector who had acted independently of each other.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump’s Commerce Dept plagued by low morale and ‘disarray’ as chief Wilbur Ross falls asleep in meetings: report

Published

on

For months, there has been speculation in Washington, D.C. that Wilbur Ross, secretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce for the Trump Administration, is on his way out. Reports that Ross falls asleep in meetings don’t exactly instill confidence in his leadership. And Politico’s Daniel Lippman, in a troubling report, describes the Commerce Department as being in a state of chaos and disorganization.

Lippman reports that according to his sources, the 81-year-old Ross “spends much of his time at the White House” in order to “retain President Donald Trump’s favor.” And the Commerce Department is suffering, Lippman observes, because of Ross’ “penchant for managing upward at the expense of his staff.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

When radioactive wastes aren’t radioactive wastes

Published

on

The U.S. Department of Energy wants to redefine what constitutes high-level radioactive waste, cutting corners on the disposal of some of the most dangerous and long-lasting waste byproduct on earth—reprocessed spent fuel from the nuclear defense program.

The agency announced in October 2018 plans for its reinterpretation of high-level radioactive waste (HLW), as defined in the Nuclear Waste Policy Act (NWPA) of 1982, with plans to classify waste by its hazard level and not its origin. By using the idea of a reinterpretation of a definition, the DOE may be able to circumvent Congressional oversight. And in its regulatory filing, the DOE, citing the NWPA and Atomic Energy Act of 1954, said it has the authority to “interpret” what materials are classified as high-level waste based on their radiological characteristics. That is not quite true, as Congress specifically defined high-level radioactive waste in the Nuclear Waste Policy Act, and any reinterpretation of that definition should trigger a Congressional response.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image