Quantcast
Connect with us

Minn. cops clash with #BLM protesters outside precinct where Jamar Clark was shot and killed

Published

on

Minnesota officials on Wednesday identified the two Minneapolis police officers involved in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man as chanting demonstrators surrounded a key police station.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said Minneapolis Police Department Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze were involved in the shooting of Jamar Clark, 24, Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Both men have been police officers for seven years, including 13 months with the city. The officers, whose race was not disclosed, are on administrative leave during an investigation.

Clark is the latest in a series of unarmed black people to be killed at the hands of police in the United States over the past several years, fueling protests nationwide and rekindling a national civil rights movement.

Attempts by Reuters to reach the officers for comment were unsuccessful on Wednesday.

Community activists have said Clark was unarmed and handcuffed when he was shot shortly after midnight on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Bob Kroll, a spokesman for the union representing Minneapolis police officers, told Reuters in a brief statement that Clark was never handcuffed and “was disarming the officer” during the altercation.

Kroll also said that Clark had a violent history and that the officers had no record of discipline by the department.

Drew Evans, superintendent of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, has said that Clark was unarmed and that his agency was still trying to determine whether he was handcuffed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dozens of protesters have camped in front of the north Minneapolis precinct near where the shooting occurred, but on Wednesday police pushed them back from the entryway.

Police said during a Wednesday news conference that demonstrators threw bottles, bricks and rocks at officers as they cleared the precinct entryway.

“We will not tolerate property damage or any acts of violence against anyone. Public safety must continue to be our number one priority,” Police Chief Janeé Harteau said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A growing crowd of at least 250 people, joining arms to partly surround the station, chanted slogans like “No justice, no peace. Prosecute the police,” “Indict, convict, send those killer cops to jail” and “Handcuffs, don’t shoot.”

About 20 officers, some wearing riot gear or dressed in fatigues, watched stoically from behind barricades police had set up. Minneapolis city council member Cam Gordon, who does not represent this ward but was present, said he would not have moved the demonstrators and worried about the potential for violence, while another city council member Lisa Bender said there was “a lot of fear in the crowd.”

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges called on the community to have patience with the investigation. “It is completely understandable to me that emotions are running high in the community,” she said at the press conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Pastor Brian Herron of Zion Baptist Church in Minneapolis criticized the police for coming out in riot gear.

“We don’t want another Ferguson,” said the former city council member, referring to the St. Louis suburb where a white police officer’s shooting last year of an unarmed black man and the decision by a grand jury not to indict the officer led to riots. “They are unleashing something they don’t understand. Oh Lord.”

Clark was taken off life support on Monday evening, his family told local media. On Tuesday, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office said Clark had died from a gunshot wound to the head at 9:25 p.m. CST Monday at the Hennepin County Medical Center.

Officials with the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension have said it will give the results of its investigation to prosecutors in two to four months. A federal civil rights investigation is also underway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Late Monday, activists blocked the entrance of a police precinct following the shooting and marched to an Interstate highway, demanding authorities release video of the shooting. At least 50 people were arrested after blocking a section of Interstate 94 that runs through Minneapolis.

Police officers had responded to a request for assistance from paramedics who reported that an individual was disrupting their ability to help an assault victim.

The BCA said Clark was a suspect in the assault and that there was an altercation between him and the officers before one of them shot him.

(Reporting by Todd Melby; Additional reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit, Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee and Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Writing by Ben Klayman; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Christian Plumb)

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch a report on the protest, as aired on WCCO-TV on Wednesday, below.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Horde of clueless angry white men’: Internet mocks Matt Gaetz for leading a raid on a secure impeachment hearing

Published

on

On Wednesday, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) led a gang of two dozen conservative lawmakers as they barged into a classified evidence meeting in the impeachment proceeding against President Donald Trump.

Gaetz — who is not a member of the Intelligence Committee but has demanded the right to review sensitive evidence as if he is one — received scorn from commenters on social media for his stunt:

This is their plan? I’m so fucking relieved we’re up against Matt Gaetz.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

BUSTED: Newly uncovered White House budget docs undercut one of Trump’s last defenses in Ukraine scandal

Published

on

President Donald Trump's insistence that he only pushed Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden because he was concerned about "corruption" has been one of his primary defenses against House Democrats' impeachment inquiry.

However, the Washington Post has uncovered some White House budget documents that directly undercut the president's defense.

According to the Post, the Trump administration "has sought repeatedly to cut foreign aid programs tasked with combating corruption in Ukraine and elsewhere overseas" even though the White House has insisted that it is laser-focused on promoting good governance in the country.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Rick Perry quickly gets stumped after claiming House impeachment inquiry is breaking the law

Published

on

Speaking on the Fox Business Network this Wednesday morning, outgoing Energy Secretary Rick Perry tried to dispel speculation that his coming resignation is due to his alleged involvement in the Ukraine fiasco enveloping the White House, saying that he had been planning to resign for "eight or nine months."

Perry jumped right into the subject of the impeachment inquiry targeting President Trump and the fact that his former department will not comply with a House subpoena for documents.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image