Quantcast
Connect with us

Michigan governor apologizes for state’s mishandling of Flint’s water supply

Published

on

Michigan’s governor apologized on Tuesday for the state’s mishandling of lead contamination in the city of Flint’s water supply and accepted the resignation of the state official whose department was responsible.

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder said in a statement that he had accepted the resignation of Dan Wynant, the head of the state Department of Environmental Quality, and was making other personnel changes at the department.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he would meet Flint Mayor Karen Weaver to discuss what else the state could do to help.

Weaver declared a state of emergency earlier this month, acknowledging that an April 2014 switch to the Flint River from Detroit’s water system as a water source caused high lead levels. In October, the city switched back to the Detroit water system but the city said lead levels were still “well above” the acceptable federal level in many homes.

Last month, Flint residents filed a federal lawsuit accusing the city and state of endangering their health by switching the water source to save money after the city of about 99,000 people was placed under emergency financial management by Snyder.

Residents have complained about various health problems, including respiratory disorders and skin lesions.

“I want the Flint community to know how very sorry I am that this has happened,” Snyder said. “And I want all Michigan citizens to know that we will learn from this experience, because Flint is not the only city that has an aging infrastructure.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I know many Flint citizens are angry and want more than an apology,” he added. “That’s why I’m taking the actions today to ensure a culture of openness and trust.”

Snyder also said the state had allocated $10 million to test water, distribute water filters and help in other ways in Flint, which is about 68 miles (110 km) northwest of Detroit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

UAE announces first Wuhan coronavirus case

Published

on

The United Arab Emirates announced Wednesday its first case of the new coronavirus, in a family from Wuhan, in what is thought to be the first confirmed case in the Middle East.

“The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention announced a case of the new coronavirus affecting people from one family coming from the city of Wuhan in China,” the state news agency WAM reported, without saying how many were infected.

Continue Reading

Latest Headlines

’Star Trek: Picard’ has more in common with ‘Blade Runner’ than you’d expect

Published

on

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Mike Pompeo’s behavior is straight out of Nixon VP’s playbook: historians

Published

on

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s expletive-laden dust-up with NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly is on message for the Trump-led Republican Party. Complaining that Kelly’s question about Ukraine was “another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt President Trump and this Administration,” Pompeo has rallied the Republican base by slamming a journalist doing her job.

Whether he knows it or not, Pompeo is drawing from a playbook written a half century ago and perfected by a politician once voted the worst vice president in American history. Secretary Mike Pompeo, meet Vice President Spiro Agnew.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image