Neil Sigurd Wampler, one of the militants who joined the armed occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge early on, insisted that he is allowed to carry a firearm — even though he was convicted of murdering his father.
An investigation by The Oregonian revealed this week that Wampler, 68, had been convicted of second-degree murder in 1977, when he was 29.
According to police reports, Wampler hit his father in the head with a 16-inch rod, and then hitchhiked to a liquor store, where he called police to confess. He later pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity and was sentenced to five years in prison. He was released in 1981.
Although Wampler denied to the paper that he was the murderer, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Tony Cipolla confirmed that the militant in question was Wampler after watching a YouTube video recorded at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
Cipolla noted that Wampler’s murder conviction prohibits him from having a firearm. Wampler, however, insisted that he could legally carry a gun.
“Oh yes,” Wampler said after being asked if he was armed. He declined to say exactly what type of weapon he was carrying.
“I am here to support my compadres in this effort against federal overreach,” Wampler explains in a YouTube video published earlier this month.
The militant argues that the occupiers have “pretty much exhausted” all the legal means of stopping the federal government.
“As the old saying goes, you have the ballot box, you have the jury box, you have the soapbox,” he opines. “And box number four is guess what? The peaceful means we are proceeding here, I would like to point out though.”
“I’ve had some experience both at Bundy ranch and Sugar Pine mine and other armed actions in the last couple years,” Wampler says. “We are peaceful people, I certainly am. And the only circumstance, the last extremity that I think that any gunshots would be fired is if the federals tried to root us out of here.”
“They would find out then that we are not playing. We’re not going to give an inch. And I say that very seriously.”
Two leaders of the occupation, Ammon Bundy and Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, have both denied knowing Wampler or being aware of his criminal past.
Watch the video below from YouTube.
Republicans are giving Trump ‘two more weeks’ to see the ‘writing on the wall’ before intervening: CNN’s Raju
Top Republican officials are remaining silent as President Donald Trump continues peddling false conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election, but a new report from CNN's Manu Raju suggests their patience does have its limits.
During an interview with CNN host Jim Sciutto, Raju said that Republicans know they're going to have to acknowledge President-elect Joe Biden won the election at some point, although they're trying to string it out for as long as they can to avoid angering the president.
"Republican senators tell me they believe this will all sort itself out on December 14th," he explained. "I have it at two more weeks, hoping it gets resolved by the time that the state electors are chosen, and at that time they hope the president sees the writing on the wall and they do not have to get involved."
GOP lawmakers buried for meltdown over Biden appointee’s ‘mean tweets’ after years of Trump Twitter insults
On Tuesday morning, the panel on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" expressed both amusement and disgust with Republican lawmakers who are claiming one of President-elect Joe Biden's nominees may have a tough time being approved because she has a history of writing "mean tweets" about their actions and policies.
As host Joe Scarborough observed, those same lawmakers just spent four years either defending -- or pretending they were unaware -- of Donald Trump's habit of slurring and attacking his opponents or detractors on Twitter.
At issue are tweets that were written by Neera Tanden who is currently president of the Center for American Progress and has been nominated by the incoming president to head up the Office of Management and Budget.
‘He’s lost his marbles’: CNN reporter burns Trump lawyer for death threat against ex-election security official
CNN White House correspondent John Harwood on Tuesday hammered Trump attorney Joe diGenova for issuing death threats to former Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director Chris Krebs.
On Monday, diGenova told right-wing talk show host Howie Carr that Krebs, who was fired by President Donald Trump for verifying that the 2020 election was secure, should be "drawn and quartered" and "taken out at dawn and shot."