Spike Lee is to boycott the 2016 Oscars over the US Academy’s failure to nominate a single black actor for the second year running.
Lee received an honorary Oscar at a ceremony in November last year for his work as a film-maker. But writing on Instagram on Monday, the director of Do the Right Thing and Chi-Raq said he had decided not to attend the main event.
“I would like to thank president Cheryl Boone Isaacs and the board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for awarding me an honorary Oscar this past November,” he wrote. “I am most appreciative. However my wife, Mrs Tonya Lewis Lee and I will not be attending the Oscar ceremony this coming February. We cannot support it and mean no disrespect to my friends, host Chris Rock and producer Reggie Hudlin, president Isaacs and the Academy. But, how is it possible for the 2nd consecutive year all 20 contenders under the actor category are white? And let’s not even get into the other branches. 40 white actors in 2 years and no flava at all. We can’t act?! WTF!!”
It was not clear if Lee was responding to Jada Pinkett Smith’s tweeted suggestion on Saturday that a boycott of the Oscars by ethnic minority actors might be justified. “At the Oscars … people of colour are always welcomed to give out awards … even entertain,” Pinkett Smith wrote on Twitter . “But we are rarely recognised for our artistic accomplishments. Should people of colour refrain from participating all together? People can only treat us in the way in which we allow. With much respect in the midst of deep disappointment.”
Lee’s Chi-Raq, a critically acclaimed musical comedy about a woman who goes on sex strike to protest against black-on-black gun violence in Chicago, failed to make an impact on the current awards season despite an Oscars push by the film’s studio, Amazon . Pinkett Smith is married to the actor Will Smith, who missed out on a best actor nomination for his role in the film Concussion .
Other absentees from Thursday’s list of Oscar nominees included British actor Idris Elba, who was widely expected to challenge for the best supporting actor prize following his Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild-nominated turn as an African warlord in the Netflix drama Beasts of No Nation, Benicio del Toro for Sicario and Michael B Jordan for Creed.
Meanwhile, Straight Outta Compton producer Will Packer described the 2016 list of Oscar nominees as “embarrassing” in a lengthy Facebook post after the film’s sole nomination was handed to its white screenwriters, Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff. Boone Isaacs has described the omission of actors from ethnic minorities, which is once again being highlighted by Twitter users under the hashtag #Oscarssowhite, as “disappointing”.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2016
Trump’s big-money Florida fundraiser expected to bring in $10 million — from only 100 people
President Donald Trump flew to Mar-a-Lago on Friday after receiving a formal summons from the U.S. Senate informing him of his impeachment trial.
The president will be attending a Friday evening campaign fundraiser.
The recipient of the money is Trump Victory, which is a joint fundraising committee set up by Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. and the Republican National Committee.
“Tonight’s Trump Victory fundraiser is expected to raise $10 million with approximately 100 people in attendance," the campaign told the White House pool reporter.
Lev Parnas has Trump ‘unnerved’: ex-FBI official says the president doesn’t know what he ‘has up his sleeve’
President Donald Trump is "very nervous" about what Lev Parnas may have on him, a former top FBI official suggested on MSNBC on Friday.
Former FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence was interviewed by MSNBC's Peter Alexander.
The host played clips of Trump denying any relationship with Parnas.
"Well, I don't know him, I don't know Lev Parnas, other than I guess I had pictures taken -- which I do with thousands of people," Trump argued. "I don't know him at all, don't know what he's about, don't where he comes from. I can tell you this -- I don't know him. I don't believe I've ever spoken to him. I don't believe I've ever spoken to him."
Trump is now feuding with Iran’s Supreme Leader on Twitter: ‘Make Iran Great Again!’
President Donald Trump is now replying directly to Iran Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Twitter.
I Friday, Khamenei tweeted a screenshot of a Trump tweet, with a message of his own.
"The villainous US govt repeatedly says that they are standing by the Iranian ppl. They lie. If you are standing by the Iranian ppl, it is only to stab them in the heart with your venomous daggers," Khamenei posted.
"Of course, you have so far failed to do so, & you will certainly continue to fail," he added.
Trump retweeted the message, adding his own argument.