At a Ted Cruz rally on Saturday at the Springmaid Beach Resort in South Carolina, Glenn Beck took the stage to stump for his presidential candidate, but the speech quickly turned to being more about himself. The former Fox News host claims that he left his comfortable job for the right-wing network due to his exuberance for prayer.
“I was told, ‘Stop telling people to pray.’ I was told not to tell people to pray on their knees because there’s a lot of people in the audience whose knees hurt and I make them feel bad,” Beck explained in a Facebook video. “I was told, ‘Stop praying because that takes God’s focus off the important things like war.’ I was just like, ‘Uh huh. Wow. I thought I was gonna get this speech at CNN.'”
He explained to the person that he understood the instruction but four months later he was called in and questioned again. They allegedly asked Beck, “do you realize how many times you’ve said the word ‘God’ on the air since?” It was evidently 91 times in over 120 days.
While Beck claims to have had a soul-searching conversation with his wife where they decided he should leave, he claims the “head” didn’t want him to. “I wanted to stay there … the guy who runs the place told me, ‘You’re not leaving.'” Though Beck didn’t identify if it was CEO Rupert Murdoch or Fox News head Roger Ailes. He continued, claiming the “guy who runs the place” said that Fox has made Beck rich and famous and “nobody leaves.”
Beck insisted that he said he was leaving anyway “and that’s because God said to me, ‘If you don’t leave now, you’re not going to leave without your soul. Because once you start wanting it, that’s when you start compromising.”
Fox News disputes Beck’s claim, telling Politico several years ago,
“Glenn Beck wasn’t trying to save his soul, he was trying to save his ass. Advertisers fled his show and even Glenn knows what that means in our industry. Yet, we still tried to give him a soft landing. Guess no good deed goes unpunished.”
Beck has been campaigning for Cruz in early primary and caucus states with a religious message going so far as to claim that Cruz will get them through the Rapture. But he isn’t the only one, wife Heidi Cruz gave a radio interview where she talked about how her husband was going to “show the face of God” to America.
Watch the full video below:
White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths
The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.
On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."
On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.