Quantcast
Connect with us

Texas couple brings Nigerian nanny to America — then turns her into a slave

Published

on

A Texas couple was arrested on Monday for enslaving a Nigerian woman who they brought to the United States under the belief she would be caring for their children, the Houston Press reports.

Chudy Nsobundu, 56, and his wife Sandra, 50, were charged with forced labor, visa fraud, withholding documents and harboring conspiracy. The victim was also subjected to punishment, like being beaten for putting the wrong pair of socks on one of the couple’s five adopted children, and denied access to fresh food, water and medical care.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the Press, the 38-year-old woman was living in Lagos when she was contacted by Sandra Nsobundu in 2012. She worked for the couple for a year in Nigeria before they brought her with them to the United States. She believed she would be paid $100 a month to care for the couple’s children.

Instead she was not paid and forced to work from 5:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. every day, the Press reports. She was not allowed to sit down during her workday or watch T.V. She was forced to eat only leftover food and couldn’t even use fresh milk for her tea. She was forced to strain milk from used cereal instead. The couple also forced her to sleep on the floor with their two 3-year-olds because, they told her, she was “too smelly” for a bed.

The couple also referred to her as “the idiot” and Sandra Nsobundu threatened to shoot and kill her if she didn’t properly take care of the children.

The couple also took away all her personal possessions, including her passport.

The break in the case happened in October 2015 when the victim called her bank in Nigeria and discovered she had not been paid by the couple since arriving in the U.S. a month earlier, someone notified the National Human Trafficking Resource Center about the woman’s predicament. A month later, she fled the home with a caseworker from the YMCA International Trafficked Persons Assistance Program.

ADVERTISEMENT

If convicted the couple faces 60 years in prison and $1 million in fines, according to the Press.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Bill Barr denies giving the order to gas protesters for Trump photo-op

Published

on

America's top law enforcement office on Friday denied giving the highly-controversial order to gas protesters prior to a photo-op with President Donald Trump holding a Bible.

"Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision," The Associated Press reports.

"Barr’s comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday were his most detailed explanation yet of what unfolded outside the White House earlier this week. They come after the White House and others said repeatedly that the attorney general ordered officers to clear the park," the AP reported. "Shortly after officers aggressively pushed back demonstrators, President Donald Trump — accompanied by Barr, Pentagon leaders and other top advisers — walked through Lafayette Park to pose for a photo at a nearby church that had been damaged during the protests."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Jeb Bush wonders why Republicans are not ‘stepping up’ to condemn racism

Published

on

Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL) wondered on Friday why more Republicans were not standing publicly against racism.

"I have said it before and I will say it again now: the GOP must not tolerate racism. Of any kind. At any time," his son, George P. Bush, the Texas Land Commissioner posted on Twitter.

He urged local GOP officials in Texas to resign for sharing racist posts on Facebook.

Jeb Bush praised the post.

"Proud of my son," he posted on Twitter.

"Are other Republican elected officials stepping up?" he wondered.

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/1269057568015605761

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Not appropriate at all’: GOP senator admits it was wrong to gas protesters for Trump’s photo-op

Published

on

The decision to gas protesters so President Donald Trump could hold a photo-op holding a Bible were criticized by a Republican senator on Friday as cracks start to emerge in Republicans' support for the president.

"As you know, outside the White House when protesters were peacefully exercising their rights, there were rubber bullets and tear gas, they were disbursed so he could go for the pictures, the photo-op at the church," CNN's Erin Burnett reported.

She noted criticism by former General Mattis and asked Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) if he agreed.

"I would say no question the scene that I understand occurred there with the tear gas and rubber bullets was unnecessary, not appropriate at all," he replied.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image