Quantcast
Connect with us

Donald Trump threatens third-party run over ‘unfair’ treatment by Republican party

Published

on

Billionaire says national committee is ‘in default’ of pledge amid complaints that he spotted ‘special interest people’ in debate crowd on Saturday

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump made a veiled threat on Monday to launch a third-party run as an independent candidate, saying Republican leaders are “in default” of an agreement to treat him fairly.

Speaking at a campaign event just outside of Charleston, South Carolina, the billionaire hinted that he may still run an independent campaign for president, despite a pledge he signed last year to stay within the party.

Trump, who was booed at a debate on Saturday, complained that the audience was full of “lobbyists and donors” whom he accused of manipulating his rivals. “Those tickets were all special interest people. I know ’em,” he said.

“I signed a pledge but it’s a double-edge pledge, and as far as I’m concerned they’re in default of the pledge.”

ADVERTISEMENT

A spokesperson for the Republican National Committee told the Guardian: “The language of the pledge is pretty straightforward.”

The pledge, he said, “simply states the candidates pledge to run as a Republican and support the nominee. Nothing more and nothing less.”

The men and women in the audience were largely at the candidates’ discretion, according to the RNC: “Each candidate received 100 tickets which is the largest amount so far. The candidates as a whole were the largest group of ticket holders.”

ADVERTISEMENT

But Trump declared said “the pledge isn’t being honored by them”, without elaborating on what the Republican party’s obligations would be under the agreement. He said the debate was “a disgrace” and “the RNC does a terrible job”.

In the past two debates, audiences booed Trump repeatedly after tangling with a rival, Jeb Bush , on issues like the Iraq war and eminent domain. The Trump campaign has insisted that the audiences were packed with “donors and special interests”, a claim that has been repeatedly and vehemently denied by party leadership in the RNC.

Trump did elaborate on how he noticed familiar faces out in the crowd, and mimicked how one acquaintance waved and sniggered. “He’s going ‘boo, boo!’ And he’s waving at me,” Trump said. “They’re booing me because they’re having fun!”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m saying this is crazy! But I know many of these people,” he continued. “That was a wealthy room.”

The billionaire has made his independence from lobbyists and donors a central pillar of his campaign, though his claim of a completely self-funded campaign is freighted with half-truths and caveats . Trump has nevertheless accused his rivals, all active politicians for years and sometimes decades, of being at the whims of special interests such as Wall Street and the oil companies.

Trump’s threat to run as a third-party candidate is unusual since it comes five days before the South Carolina primary – a state where the Republican frontrunner has a commanding lead in the polls and is expected to win easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2016


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rob Reiner has the perfect plan for the GOP and Trump’s ‘N-word tapes’ from ‘The Apprentice’

Published

on

For years, there have been rumors about the existence of unbroadcast tapes from NBC's "The Apprentice" that are said to document Donald Trump using the N-word.

Actor Tom Arnold has been pushing the idea.

While conventional wisdom may once of held that such a release would be a political catastrophe for a president, the release could actually help Trump in his 2020 re-election campaign, director Rob Reiner argued on Tuesday.

"I’ve heard there are tapes of Trump using the N-word during his time on The Apprentice. Based on the GOP’s support of his racism, they should ask producer Mark Burnett to release the tapes to boost the support of his base," Reiner tweeted.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

CNN blasted for giving a platform to white supremacist Richard Spencer to defend Trump’s racism

Published

on

CNN was highly criticized on Monday for interviewing Richard Spencer, an avowed white supremacist who took part in the fatal "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"CNN interviewed white supremacist Richard Spencer during a Tuesday segment on President Donald Trump’s racist tweets, in another example of a news outlet inadvertently giving a large platform to white supremacists," The Daily Beast reported.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens has died at 99

Published

on

SCOTUS Blog is reporting and ABC News has confirmed that former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens has passed away at the age of 99.

Stevens was nominated by President Gerald Ford in 1975 and served until his retirement in 2010 when he was 90 years old. He served for 35 years, one of the longest-serving justices in history.

Stevens penned an autobiography of the inner workings of the High Court earlier this year.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image