Fox News judicial correspondent Andrew Napolitano corrected host Andrea Tantaros on Monday after she claimed that the Founding Fathers would not have approved of a contested convention where Donald Trump was not given the nomination.
Over the weekend, Trump argued that Republicans would be “stupid” not to award him the nomination at the convention if he was substantially in the lead because they “wouldn’t even have 1 percent chance” of beating Hillary Clinton without him.
“Who is correct on this?” Tantaros asked Napolitano on Monday. “I’m not sure the Founding Fathers would love what’s happening on the Republican side. I’m not sure that’s how they set up the framework for the United States of America.”
“But constitutionally, can you weigh in on what the party is doing?” she asked. “Do they have a right to do it?”
“I disagree with you on the Founding Fathers,” Napolitano explained. “Because I think politics was a rough and tumble in that era even as it is today. There just wasn’t cable television around to record all of it.”
“The Republican Party has a history of these things,” he said. “It’s not unprecedented.”
In fact, most nominations throughout U.S. history were brokered prior to the widespread use of primaries. However, Tantaros worried that “suppressing the will of the people” seemed “extra-constitutional.”
“The Republican Party is a private organization,” Napolitano reminded the hosts of Fox News’ Outnumbered. “It rents the government’s space and equipment in order to conduct elections. It writes its own rules.”
“If they want to change their rules in the week before the convention, they are free to do so,” he pointed out, adding that some of the primary tactics were “unseemly, inappropriate, but historic, traditional and probably will go on.”
Watch the video below from Fox News, broadcast March 21, 2016.
White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths
The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.
On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."
On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.