Quantcast
Connect with us

Putin orders shake-up for Russian space program after rocket launch is delayed

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin told his space officials to raise their game on Wednesday after he flew thousands of kilometers (miles) to watch the inaugural launch of a rocket from a new spaceport, only for it to be called off.

With moments to go before the launch of an unmanned Soyuz rocket, officials had to postpone it early on Wednesday morning because a fault was uncovered with the rocket. They rescheduled for 24 hours later, but there was uncertainty about whether the second attempt would go ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT

The episode was the latest problem to beset Russia’s space program, which Putin aims to revive as part of his push to restore Russia’s military and technological might after years of post-Soviet neglect.

“The fact is there is a large number of hitches. That is bad. There should be an appropriate reaction,” a stern-looking Putin was shown saying on state television at the Vostochny cosmodrome, hours after the launch was scrapped.

Delays and corruption have blighted work on the new cosmodrome, while this month a European Space Agency launch in French Guiana, using a similar Russian Soyuz rocket, was delayed by technical problems.

Problems with Russian space rockets are worrisome not just for the Kremlin but also for the United States space program. Since it retired its space shuttle, NASA depends on Russia to fly its astronauts to the International Space Station.

Russian news agencies later quoted state space commission sources as saying that a new attempt to launch the rocket from Vostochny would be made exactly 24 hours after the original one, at 0501 (0201 GMT) on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

SPACE TOURISTS

Russia pioneered manned space flight when it fired Yuri Gagarin into space in 1961.

But since the collapse of the Soviet Union its space program has had to retrench for a lack of cash. For years it filled gaps in its budget by taking paying tourists into space.

The Vostochny spaceport, in the remote Amur region near the border with China, was the flagship project in Putin’s planned $52 billion investment in space exploration up to 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

The first civilian rocket launch site on Russian territory, it is intended to phase out Russia’s reliance on the Baikonur cosmodrome that Russia leases from ex-Soviet Kazakhstan.

Several people involved in building the Vostochny spaceport are under criminal investigation for embezzlement, workers went on strike over pay arrears, costs overran, and the project missed its scheduled completion date last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking at the meeting with officials at Vostochny on Wednesday, Putin said he was satisfied to note that the cosmodrome was now in working order.

He said the technical glitch was to do with the rocket system, not the launch-pad, and that Russia still led the world in many aspects of space technology.

But he added that if suspects in the criminal investigation were found guilty, “then they will have to swap their warm bed at home for a prison bunk.”

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin; Editing by Dmitry Solovyov, Dominic Evans, Toni Reinhold)
Open in New Window
Download Story
Create New Collection
Share via Email
Print
Date04/27/2016 15:34
Word Count491
Copyright(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Click For Restrictions – http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
Source News FeedsUS Online Report Science News
IDtag:reuters.com,2016:newsml_KCN0XO1R8:2


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Michigan man assaults passerby who made fun of him for wearing coronavirus mask made from thong underwear

Published

on

On Wednesday, The Daily Beast reported police in Michigan are looking for a 47-year-old man accused of assaulting a passerby who had made fun of him for wearing a coronavirus mask made out of thong underwear.

"According to The Battle Creek Enquirer, the 57-year-old victim told police he was in his home on Monday evening when the suspect approached him wearing thong underwear over his face. The victim allegedly told the suspect that the makeshift mask looked like the thongs laying around his own home."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump ‘said the quiet part out loud again and acknowledged when more people vote Dems win’: MSNBC host

Published

on

MSNBC's Chuck Todd had to cut into President Donald Trump's Wednesday press conference twice to fact-check inaccurate claims he was making. However, one thing Katy Tur noticed, amid the inaccuracies about vote-by-mail, that Trump inadvertently "said the quiet part out loud again."

Democrats have said that one of their most-haves in the next coronavirus bill is funding for states that want to go to a vote-by-mail system.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump’s ex-ethics director: The president is in the late stage of ‘an authoritarian coup

Published

on

When Donald Trump was running for president in 2016, he vowed to “drain the swamp” if elected — which was his way of promising to clean up the political environment in Washington, D.C. and make the federal government more accountable. But former ethics official Walter Shaub, in an op-ed for USA Today, argues that Trump’s presidency has been a nonstop attack on accountability.

Shaub served as director of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics from 2013-2017. He resigned in the middle of Trump’s first year in office in protest of the White House’s complete disregard for ethics rules. And in his new op-ed, Shaub details some of the many ways in which accountability has been under attack during Trump’s presidency — from his “assault on inspectors general” to “open presidential profiteering” to the firing of officials who stood up to him, including former FBI Director James Comey and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image