Quantcast
Connect with us

Slain woman’s suspected killer to decide who gets custody of her son

Published

on

Enrique Macotela, who was arrested and charged with killing Magdalena Weich, the mother of his child, has been given  the power to decide who should be guardian of their five-year old boy, a Broward County (Florida) judge has decided, according to the Orlando Sun-Sentinel.

Milosz Weich, the slain woman’s brother, said that the family had asked to have the boy live with his maternal grandmother, who lives in Germany. His nephew has been living in foster care since Macotela’s arrest in November. The suspect recently chose his sister as guardian to the boy. Weich’s family is outraged. They believe that their loss is “now magnified.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Fort Lauderdale attorney Trish Gainer Gaddis, who is representing Magdalena Weich’s brother and mother, said state law allows parents the right to choose their child’s guardian, but she also argued for the family that judges can determine what’s in the best interest of the child,” the Sun-Sentinel reported.

The Weich family sought answers for two months after Magdalena was killed.  Macotela had called into her work on August 16, saying that she wouldn’t be showing up because she was ill. Her decomposed body was found on August 20. Police said the evidence on Weich’s body suggested that she had been dragged to the spot where she was dumped by her killer. Police charged Macotela two months later.

“Among the police findings revealed in the warrant: Macotela was observed by detectives vacuuming his van; he went to a North Lauderdale Home Depot to buy soap, a hand cart and garbage bags; he washed their bedsheets the day before he reported her missing; and Weich’s DNA was found in his van despite his insistence that she never rode in it.”

The boy has been in foster care this long because Macotela had never signed the warrant. Macotela’s sister and Weich’s mother had to pass home studies and get local approvals from social service agencies. Both women passed all of the checks.

The Weich family attorney expressed the family’s distress to the Sun-Sentinel:

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am sad, I am angry, obviously he’s not convicted yet but based on the evidence shared with the public, it appears is if he had something to do with this,” said Gaddis. “Who else would teach [the boy] about his mother but her family? It begs the question, if he is convicted, what will he be told happened to his mom?”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Ukraine begged Trump to raise issue of their captive sailors with Putin — he didn’t and Russia state TV gloated

Published

on

The ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump is being painted by Congress and the press against the backdrop of the ongoing war between Russia and the Ukraine.

As more and more sworn deposition transcripts are released, researchers are able to link up the testimony of events with real-time reactions, giving us a remarkable insight into the implications of foreign policy decisions.

Investigative journalist Julia Davis flagged one key part of testimony in the transcript released of the deposition by Ukraine embassy political officer David Holmes.

The transcript reveals Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the former federal prosecutor who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, interviewing Holmes about Ukraine's desperation to set up a meeting with Trump.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Something nefarious going on’: Obama deputy chief of staff doesn’t buy White House claims on Trump’s health

Published

on

The deputy chief of staff for operations in the Obama administration broke down on Monday why the White House claims on President Donald Trump's surprise Saturday visit to Walter Reed Hospital.

Jim Messina, who also was the campaign manager for Barack Obama's 2012 re-election campaign, was interviewed Monday on MSNBC's "The Last Word" by anchor Lawrence O'Donnell.

O'Donnell noted the note the White House physician sent to White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham:

[caption id="attachment_1563602" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Memorandum from Dr. Sean Conley to Stephanie Grisham.[/caption]

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump doctor denies the president underwent any ‘neurologic evaluations’ at Walter Reed Hospital

Published

on

The physician to the president claimed that President Donald Trump did not undergo "neurologic" evaluations during a surprise visit to Walter Reed Hospital.

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham released a picture of a memorandum from Dr. Sean Conley, which was printed on "Office of the Press Secretary" letterhead.

The memo was sent to Grisham.

On Saturday, Grisham had claimed the purpose of the visit was to conduct a "partial" physical. Dr. Conley referred to the visit as an "interim check up."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image