U.S. presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have appeared to agreed to debate each other ahead of California’s June 7 primary contest, an unconventional move before either political party has formally picked its nominee.
Sanders, a U.S. senator from Vermont, is still locked in a tight primary battle against Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, while Trump effectively clinched the Republican party’s nomination earlier this month when his two remaining rivals dropped out.
In an appearance on ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” late Wednesday, Trump was asked whether he was willing to participate in such an event against Sanders.
“Yes, I am,” Trump said, adding that he would do it if the event’s proceeds were donated to a good cause.
“If I debated him, we would have such high ratings,” the billionaire businessman said. “I think I should … take that money and give it to some worthy charity.”
Sanders appeared to agree in a post on Twitter early Thursday.
“Game on,” he tweeted. “I look forward to debating Donald Trump in California before the June 7 primary.”
Representatives for both campaigns did not immediately respond to requests for comment, and neither campaign has released any formal plans for such a debate.
Kimmel said he asked Trump about the debate at Sanders’ suggestion. Sanders, who is scheduled to appear on the show Thursday night, had first challenged Clinton to a California debate and said he was “disappointed” when the former secretary of state declined.
The Clinton campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
(Editing by Susan Heavey and Bernadette Baum)
Russian Twitter propaganda predicted 2016 US election polls
But one conclusion was unequivocal: Russia unleashed an extensive campaign of fake news and disinformation on social media with the aim of distorting U.S. public opinion, sowing discord and swinging the election in favor of the Republican candidate Donald Trump.
Beto O’Rourke calls for a ‘war tax’ in release of health care plan for veterans
The Democratic presidential candidate uses his eighth policy announcement to focus on an area that he prioritized in Congress.
Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke on Monday morning released a plan to improve the lives of veterans, returning to an area of priority during his time in the U.S. House for his latest 2020 policy rollout.
In keeping with measures he supported in Congress, the plan calls for a "responsible end" to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan — reinvesting $1 out of every $2 saved in veterans programs — and the creation of a Veterans Health Care Trust Fund for each future war. The fund would be paid for by a "war tax" on households without service members or veterans.
Conservative Ben Shapiro tweeted something many found offensive — so now he’s calling his critics ‘garbage’
Right wing "thought leader" Ben Shapiro appeared today to say not using the "N" word is nearly impossible as he defended conservative, pro-gun teen Kyle Kashuv, one of the Parkland survivors who just had his acceptance to Harvard rescinded over his racist remarks, which included repeated use of the "N" word.
To be clear, Shapiro denies that's what he meant.
Here is Shapiro on Twitter, in what many took as him appearing to call not using the "N" word – in Kashuv's case, repeatedly, over and over and over again, "an insane, cruel standard no one can possibly meet."