Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio insisted he will run for a seventh term as Maricopa County sheriff, despite facing possible criminal charges after being held in contempt of court for flouting a judge’s orders, 12News reports.
Arpaio has already racked up a $40 million bill to taxpayers in his five-year court battle after being sued for — and found guilty of — racial profiling. Last week, a federal judge found Arpaio to be in contempt for violating orders. This sets the stage for criminal proceedings.
Arpaio remained defiant when interviewed by 12News, insisting that his legal troubles were not his fault, but the fault of “the government” and the plaintiffs in the civil case.
“I’m not going to get into the reasons but maybe you ought to blame the people who caused this to occur, like the government,” Arpaio told 12News. When reporter Joe Dana pressed him to explain, Arpaio said, “Well, let’s say who brought the lawsuits and why and so on. So I am not going to talk about it. It will be more clear as we progress in the judicial system right now.”
Dana wanted to know why, after costing the county millions of dollars for violating the law, Arpaio would put the people through another term as Maricopa County’s top law enforcer.
“I report to the people,” Arpaio responded. “There’s over 4 million that happen to like the sheriff for the last 24 years… I get more support now on the streets wherever I go.”
Arpaio was found in contempt for failing to collect and turn over evidence to the court and failing to stop enforcing immigration law, as ordered by U.S. District Judge Murray Snow.
His comments seem to fall in line with a Department of Justice report in April that found, “In the past eight months, MCSO has made little progress in crucial areas …. More troubling still is MCSO’s lack of collaboration and transparency with the monitor and parties.” The document also states, “these are unacceptable timeframes — perhaps most unacceptable for the many communities that make up Maricopa County, for whom these delays amount to the denial of constitutional policing.”
Watch Arpaio’s comments, as posted by 12News, here:
Veteran Republican operative shames the GOP — and warns they won’t get rid of Trumpism ‘for at least a generation’
Stuart Stevens is a veteran Republican campaign operative from five presidential races. When he spoke to PBS's Judy Woodruff Wednesday, he lamented the GOP failed the moral test it was presented with Donald Trump.
"Well, I think there's been two strains in the party. Call it an Eisenhower strain going back to the '50s and a McCarthy strain," Stevens said, recalling when the GOP would talk about expanding their party and bringing in more African-American voters. "Now we don't even hear any talk anymore of a big tent. And we seem to have settled into a very comfortable white grievance identity."
Seth Meyers mocks Trump’s Axios interview where he ‘couldn’t even remember his own BS — that’s how fried his brain is’
In his response to President Donald Trump's bizarre interview with Axios reporter Jonathan Swan, "Late Night" comedian Seth Meyers explained the Trump interview in a single photo:
"You know something has gone horribly wrong when a journalist interviewing the president looks like that," said Meyers. "That's the face you make when your dad gets drunk and decides to tell you about the night you were conceived."
Former Trump ambassador tells Rachel Maddow ‘it’s a big red flag’ that Trump is trying to hide investigation of Turnberry scam
Former acting ambassador to the U.K., Lewis Lukens, told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow that the inspector general raised questions to him and embassy staff in the U.K. about President Donald Trump's demand for the ambassador to lobby for the British Open to be hosted at Trump's golf course in Scotland.
According to Lukens, he told those questioning how to go about getting the British Open at Trump Turnberry, and Lukens said he was clear that it was "unethical" and "possibly illegal." Still, Trump's cronies persisted.
He explained that when the inspector general did the investigation they went back to Washington to write up the report and that it should have been released by now, but it obviously has not. Today, the acting IG, who took over just three months ago, abruptly resigned.