Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump appeared to back away from calling for a total ban on Muslim entry into the US on Saturday to targeting certain nations — without identifying them, The Hill reported.
“I don’t want people coming in — I don’t want people coming in from certain countries,” Trump said in an interview published earlier in the day. “I don’t want people coming in from the terror countries. You have terror countries! I don’t want them, unless they’re very, very strongly vetted.”
However, he failed to specify what he meant by that later in the day, telling CNN, “They’re pretty well-decided. All you have to do is look.”
Earlier in Trump’s campaign, the presumptive GOP nominee called for a “total and complete shutdown” on Muslim immigration until legislators “figure out what is going on.”
As CNN reported, the former reality TV star said after the mass shooting attack in Orlando earlier this month that if elected, he would suspend immigration from “areas of the world when there is a proven history of terrorism,” but did not specifically mention Muslims despite multiple requests for clarification.
But on Saturday, while visiting the golf course he owns in Scotland, he said “it wouldn’t bother me” if a Muslim from that nation entered the US should he be elected.