Quantcast
Connect with us

Multiple stabbing victims during rally in Sacramento, California

Published

on

An "anti-fascist" protestor (C) confronts a man antagonizing them after multiple people were stabbed during a clash between neo-Nazis holding a permitted rally and counter-protestors on Sunday at the state capitol in Sacramento, California, United States, June 26, 2016. REUTERS/Max Whittaker

At least five people were stabbed at a rally on Sunday on the grounds of the California state capitol building in Sacramento as members of a white supremacist group clashed with counter-protesters, according to authorities.

A total of eight people were transported to a local hospital, two of them with life-threatening injuries, a spokesman for the Sacramento Fire Department said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier, spokesman Chris Harvey told CNN that the department brought five people to the hospital with stab wounds, and that no arrests had been made. It was not immediately clear what type of injuries the three other people had sustained.

Violence erupted during a scheduled rally on the west steps of the State Capitol at about noon local time, George Granada from the Capitol Protection Service division of the California Highway Patrol, told CNN.

Matthew Heimbach, chairman of Traditionalist Worker Party, said his group had a police permit to hold a peaceful rally outside the capitol but it had expected violence.

“We were there to support nationalism. We are white nationalists,” Heimbach told Reuters. “We were there to take a stand.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center describes the group as a white nationalist extremist group.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Sacramento Police Department said on Twitter that it had closed some areas to traffic during the protest.

Representatives of the Sacramento police could not be reached immediately for further comment.

Video footage on social media showed a group of people, some of them wearing masks and wielding what appeared to be wooden bats, attack others in the area where the rally was being held.

ADVERTISEMENT

Photos on social media showed emergency officials treating a victim on the grass in the area as police officers stood guard.

The melee comes about four months after four people were stabbed during a scuffle between members of the Ku Klux Klan and counter-protesters near a planned KKK rally in Anaheim, California.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle, Fiona Ortiz and Justin Madden in Chicago; Writing by Frank McGurty; Editing by Chris Reese)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Armed ‘sovereign citizen extremist’ arrested at Boston train station: report

Published

on

Authorities in Boston arrested an armed extremist at a train station on Thanksgiving.

"A Boston man was arrested last night and charged with illegally carrying a loaded pistol. The defendant, who allegedly purchased a firearm and body armor, and material that could be used to assemble explosives, adheres to the anti-government/anti-authority sovereign citizen extremist ideology," the Department of Justice announced Friday. "Pepo Herd El a/k/a Pepo Wamchawi Herd (El), 47, of Dorchester, was charged by criminal complaint with one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Texas Republican hasn’t even been sworn in yet and already a GOP congressman is publicly dunking on him

Published

on

There was some drama on Twitter on Friday when a four-term Republican congressman dunked on a Texas Republican who won a seat in Congress but has yet to be sworn in.

It started when Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) urged President Donald Trump to pardon Edward Snowden and Julian Assange.

Rep.-elect Tony Gonzales (R-TX) called out Gabbard for being "full of more than just turkey."

Snowden and Assange are Russian agents who pose a direct threat to US National interests. Clearly @TulsiGabbard is full of more than just turkey. https://t.co/RI4XgdZRUy

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Biden’s lead in Milwaukee increases after Trump blew millions on Wisconsin recount: report

Published

on

President-elect Joe Biden's lead over Donald Trump in Wisconsin extended on Friday as Milwaukee finished their recount.

The Trump campaign had to pay $3 million for the recount in Wisconsin.

"Milwaukee County concludes its recount of the presidential election -- one of two counties where Trump sought a recount in Wisconsin. The results: Biden's lead, currently at about 20,000 statewide, grew by 132 votes," Rosalind Helderman of The Washington Post reported Friday.

Edward-Isaac Dovere of The Atlantic did a quick, back-of-the-envelope economic analysis.

Continue Reading