Pastor Mark Burns went to great lengths on Monday to derail MSNBC host Kristen Welker’s questioning regarding his posting an image depicting Hillary Clinton in blackface.
“You’re accusing Hillary Clinton of pandering to African-American voters — and yet Donald Trump has yet to lay out and enumerate his plans to create jobs, to deal with the crime issues that he’s talking about,” Welker told Burns, who has acted as a surrogate for Trump. “So how can African-American voters feel as though he is validly trying to address some of their top concerns when he has not spoken directly to them and to their communities?”
“Tell me: where are your ancestors from?” Burns asked her.
“I have a lot of ancestors,” Welker replied. “Let’s just stick on the topic, though.”
“When you talk to one black family, you’re not talking to all black families,” said Burns, who is black. “We need to quit talking as though when you talk to ‘the African-American community’ as though that resonates with all –”
“But he’s not talking to them at all, Pastor Burns, that’s my point,” she interjected.
“That’s not true. He’s talking to Americans!” Burns yelled. “And we as African-Americans are Americans. We are American. We are American. and we deserve to have the same respect as all Americans. When Donald Trump talked about jobs, he didn’t talk to white America — he talked to America. And that’s the problem we have in this society.”
While Trump drew criticism last week for making his pitch to African-American voters in front of all-white audiences, Burns did so on Monday for posting the drawing of Clinton, along with the caption, “Black Americans, THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOTES and letting me use you again..See you again in 4 years.” A screenshot of the picture can be seen below.
“I am standing behind that picture,” Burns insisted. “We as African-Americans, we need to make Democrats fight for our vote. We need to make them fight for us. We need to make them do what they say they are gonna do, because we are just as valuable as every race in the great state of the United States of America.”
Watch the interview, as aired on Monday, below.
Intelligence official directly contradicts Trump administration’s excuses for suppressing whistleblower
A top official in the intelligence community has disputed the factual basis for the Trump administration’s suppression of a whistleblower complaint believed to regard the potential misconduct of the president himself, a new letter released Thursday revealed.
The letter was made public by House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA). He is locked into a fierce and potentially explosive dispute with an array of forces within the administration to obtain the complaint, which was made through proper channels by an intelligence official last month to the community’s inspector general. Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson determined that the complaint was “credible” and “urgent,” and subsequent reporting from the Washington Post found that it concerns a “promise” made by Trump in communication with a foreign leader.
Longtime GOP strategist explains why his party is getting crushed in the war of ideas
Republican strategist Stuart Stevens on Wednesday warned the GOP that Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) might not be a pushover candidate against President Donald Trump in 2020.
Writing on Twitter, Stevens admitted that he had "no idea" if Warren would beat Trump next year, but he did say that "Trump and supporters are destroying [the] credibility of any center-right argument" thanks to Trump's "corrupt and unstable" governance.
When one of Stevens' followers said that Warren would not be able to fulfill her promises just by taxing the wealthy, he countered that this idea is still more popular than anything Republicans are championing.
Japan wants to dump Fukushima radioactive water into ocean
Japan's top government spokesman slapped down the environment minister on Tuesday after he said there was "no other option" but to release radioactive water from the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant into the ocean.
"It is not true that we have decided on the disposal method," Chief Cabinet Minister Yoshihide Suga told reporters after Environment Minister Yoshiaki Harada's comments earlier in the day.
The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), is storing more than one million tonnes of contaminated water in tanks at the site of Fukushima Daiichi Plant that was wrecked by the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown.