Quantcast
Connect with us

Detroit’s mayor rips ‘phony’ Trump visit: I feel like I’m watching ‘The Apprentice’

Published

on

The mayor of Detroit didn’t hold back when he spoke with reporters on Saturday about Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s visit to a black church in his city.

“I feel like I’m watching the next season of ‘The Apprentice,'” said Mayor Mike Duggan (D), according to the Detroit Free Press.

“This is the most phony major party nominee that I’ve seen in my lifetime, and that’s why we’re skeptical,” he said during a press conference across from Great Faith International Ministries — the church where Trump spoke — alongside Democratic U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to The Hill, Duggan said that the Republican nominee is only interested in using Detroit’s people as “props” in his campaign’s 11th-hour outreach to nonwhite voters.

“Are you here just to use Detroiters as props in a re-imaging campaign, or are you here to have a real conversation where you’re finally going to give us the specifics on what you’re going to do to make American cities better?”

“We want to hear your plans for reducing poverty,” Duggan said, adding that if candidates want to be taken seriously, they should present serious policy proposals — which the Trump campaign has been notoriously light on.

Lawrence said that Trump has repeatedly asked black voters, “What do you have to lose?”

ADVERTISEMENT

“He said when he sees an African American that I am broke, I am unemployed, I’m uneducated, and whenever I walk out my door I’m being shot. What do I have to lose?” Lawrence said. “I don’t want my grandchild to listen to the rhetoric that she, as a woman and as an African-American, is classified and stereotyped as uneducated.”

To Trump, she said, “You are not qualified to be president of the United States that includes me as an African-American woman.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

US ‘lies’ slammed after Mike Pompeo blames Iran for drone attacks without proof

Published

on

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi forcefully rejected Sunday unsubstantiated charges by by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and US Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) regarding the recent drone attacks that caused serious damage to two crucial Saudi Arabian oil installations.

“It has been around 5 years that the Saudi-led coalition has kept the flames of war alive in the region by repeatedly launching aggression against Yemen and committing different types of war crimes, and the Yemenis have also shown that they are standing up to war and aggression,” Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said in a statement.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Why are college students so stressed out? It’s not because they’re ‘snowflakes’

Published

on

Across the country, college classes are well underway, the excitement of the start of the year is waning and student stress is on the rise. Frantic calls home and panicked visits to student health services will start to dramatically increase. And before long, parents and observers will start wondering what is wrong with these kids. Why can’t they handle the pressures of college and just pull it together?

College student stress is nothing new. Anxieties over homesickness, social pressures, challenging course loads and more have been a common feature of the U.S. college experience for decades. But, without question, student stress levels and psychological distress are measurably worse than before. According to a national study published earlier this year in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, major depression among young adults (18-25) rose 63 percent between 2009 and 2017. They also report that the rate of young adults with suicidal thoughts or other suicide-related outcomes increased 47 percent from 2008 to 2017.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Kaiser healthcare workers plan for nation’s largest strike since 1997

Published

on

More than 80,000 Kaiser Permanente emergency medical technicians, nurses, respiratory therapists and other staffers are threatening to walk out of work next month, in what could be the nation's largest strike since 1997.

The authorization to strike, approved by 98% of the union members who voted, does not mean a walk out will happen, but it does allow union leaders to call one as early as Oct. 1, giving them leverage ahead of negotiations with the California-based health care giant. Kaiser Permanente, comprised of 39 hospitals and nearly 700 medical officers, serves more than 12 million members in seven states across the country.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image