Trump-backing CNN contributor Jeffrey Lord on Monday doubled down on his candidate’s call to ban moderators and fact checking from upcoming debates.
Speaking to CNBC on Monday, Donald Trump argued that having a debate without a moderator would prevent a “very unfair” outcome.
“What they’re doing is they’re gaming the system so that when I go into the debate, I’m gonna get — be treated very, very unfairly by the moderators,” Trump insisted. “I think, maybe, we should have no moderator. Let Hillary and I sit there and just debate because I think the system is being rigged so it’s gonna be a very unfair debate, and I can see it happening right now.”
Lord on Monday pointed to the 1858 debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas as a model for the events.
“I think it was [Fox News host] Chris Wallace — he’s one of the moderators — who said he’s not going to sit there and be a fact checker,” Lord said. “I think that’s up to the American people.”
“You know, some of these fact checking — quote, unquote — sites are basically liberal,” he continued. “And they have a bias going into it. So, I really don’t count them much as fact checkers.”
CNN contributor Sally Kohn countered that the public deserved “some semblance of objectivity.”
“The American people have the right to know the facts when it comes to both candidates,” she remarked. “I can’t even believe we are debating this.”
Lord pushed back, asserting that news shows would fact check the candidates after the debate concluded.
“That’s just the nature of the beast, that’s part of American democracy,” he said. “And I think we should all just relax and, chill out and let it happen and go on from there.”
“I think [Trump] has a great suggestion about this,” Lord added. “That would be a fascinating thing to see he and Hillary Clinton sit there and the only person else on stage is a time keeper.”
“If could be fascinating or it could be like a really bad Thanksgiving dinner,” CNN host Carol Costello concluded.
Watch the video below from CNN, broadcast Sept. 12, 2016.
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.
Chief Justice John Roberts issues New Year’s Eve warning to stand up for democracy
"In our age, when social media can instantly spread rumor and false information on a grand scale, the public's need to understand our government, and the protections it provides, is ever more vital," he wrote. "We should celebrate our strong and independent judiciary, a key source of national unity and stability."