During Monday night’s presidential debate, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton brought up the many, many unpaid workers, contractors and employees that Republican candidate Donald Trump has left behind over the course of his multiple bankruptcies and failed business ventures.
On Tuesday, Andrew Tesoro — one of the architects who Trump refused to pay — spoke to MSNBC Live about his experience designing a clubhouse at one of Trump’s golf courses.
Tesoro answered Trump’s Monday night assertion that “maybe he didn’t do a good job” by providing a letter of recommendation that Trump wrote for him in 2006 when the job was completed. In the letter, Trump praised Tesoro as a man of vision and energy and said that he would recommend him to anyone who needs a “top-notch architect” for their project.
“Did he pay you on time?” asked anchor Craig Melvin.
“No, he didn’t. He paid partially along the way and the project snowballed over a four year period and our role in the project snowballed as well,” Tesoro explained. “We became very much involved in interior design and construction stage work. We made many supplemental agreements as we went along and in the end those agreements were not honored.”
When pressed by Melvin to say how much money Donald Trump still owes him a decade later, Tesoro answered, “I wound not expect to be paid at this late date. Mr. Trump had his chance to pay his bill ten years ago.”
Finally, he said, “It was a considerable sum of money, probably in excess of $100,000 that we were left short at the end of the project.”
Trump, he said, “has an amazing knack for telling people what they want to hear.” The real estate mogul convinced him that if Tesoro let his amount slide, Trump would reward him with lots of work in the future and recommend him to other companies.
“Has that happened?” asked Melvin.
“No, none of that has happened,” Tesoro replied. “Nothing whatsoever. Not even a referral.”
Watch the video, embedded below:
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.
Chief Justice John Roberts issues New Year’s Eve warning to stand up for democracy
"In our age, when social media can instantly spread rumor and false information on a grand scale, the public's need to understand our government, and the protections it provides, is ever more vital," he wrote. "We should celebrate our strong and independent judiciary, a key source of national unity and stability."