The news broke Friday that Donald Trump was caught on a hot mic in 2005 talking about women in the most vulgar of terms. Pundit and columnist Bill Kristol might be a conservative Republican but he was quite simply disgusted by the comments.
On Jake Tapper’s afternoon show the host was shocked, to say the least.
USA Today columnist Kirsten Powers couldn’t believe that someone who could become the president of the United States after saying something like this.
“It’s this very adolescent way to talk about women,” Powers said. “A very vulgar way. For somebody who was just recently attacking Alicia Machado being on a sex tape that she wasn’t. And then, of course, he has a lot of evangelical voters and women voters, a lot of them alarmed by this, I don’t think it helps.”
She continued saying that Trump’s non-apology and finger pointing at Bill Clinton is absurd. “By the way, attacking Bill Clinton — he’s not running against Bill Clinton he’s running against Hillary Clinton. Even if he said this stuff what’s it have to do with Hillary? She’s not responsible for that.”
Tapper agrees, claiming Billy Bush, also in the audio, was probably with NBC public relations in the moment. Further, Tapper commented, “It’s stunning to hear the Republican nominee, father of five, married man, who won handily the evangelical vote. I don’t think I would ever talk about this even if I was single.” Tapper went on to say that Trump was 59 years old at the time and a grandfather and that it makes it even worse.
“He’s a dirty old man,” Kristol said, shaking his head.
“You know what’s interesting about this: We’re in an era right now where the behavior of a certain generation of men when it comes to women is really being changed and judged in a very difficult, tough way,” Tapper said. “This is just the latest example I could cite others. It’s not acceptable to talk about women like that.”
Powers called out the fact that the Trump statement was not an apology – it was a non-apology. “I also do think there’s somewhat predatory part to this — the way he talks about preying on a woman — it’s very predatory and that’s also very concerning as well. that’s something I’m sure the Clinton administration will focus on. I also want to say that’s not an apology. When you apologize you don’t make an attack and then an apology.”
Check out the surprising conversation below:
White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths
The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.
On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."
On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.
Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada
Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."
With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.
Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines
Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.
"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.
More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.
At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.