Quantcast
Connect with us

This man admits to vandalizing Trump’s Walk of Fame star in Los Angeles

Published

on

A man arrested on Thursday for defacing Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles with a sledgehammer and a pickax said he did it because he was angry at the candidate.

James Otis, 52, speaking to reporters a short time after he was released from jail on $20,000 bail, also said he did it to show support for women who have accused Trump of groping them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Otis was arrested for felony vandalism and is due in court on Nov. 18, authorities said.

His attack on Wednesday on the star, which Donald Trump received in 2007 for starring in the NBC show “The Apprentice,” made national headlines.

Otis was captured on video in a hard hat and reflective vest as he hacked at the star before dawn on a sidewalk in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Hollywood.

The stunt left Trump’s name scratched out of the star, the emblem in the middle dislodged and chips missing.

Trump drew widespread condemnations from voters and a number of Republican elected officials after a 2005 video emerged in which he was heard talking on an open microphone about groping women and trying to seduce a married woman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump has denied the allegations made by several women that he groped them.

Otis, in his news conference, said he is taking responsibility for hacking at Trump’s star and he criticized Trump for what he described as dodging his responsibility.

“He’s a serial liar and misogynist and that’s why we’re here: to try to address that and help those women who told Mr. Trump they won’t stand for it anymore,” Otis said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Otis said that he has been arrested multiple times over the years for civil disobedience.

Trump, a real estate developer and former reality TV star, has faced several large protests during his campaign appearances in California, where opinion polls show him far behind Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

ADVERTISEMENT

A spokeswoman for Trump did not return emails seeking comment on Thursday.

Leron Gubler, president and chief executive of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which administers the hundreds of star plaques on sidewalks in the Los Angeles neighborhood, has said the star would be covered for days during repairs.

(Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Lisa Shumaker)

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

COVID-19

What is China doing to stop Beijing’s new coronavirus outbreak?

Published

on

Over 1,000 flights have been cancelled, schools shut and residents urged not to leave Beijing, as Chinese authorities race to contain a fresh outbreak linked to the capital's largest wholesale food market.

The number of confirmed cases in the capital has shot up to 137 within the last week after two months of no cases, and four other provinces have revealed cases linked to the Beijing cluster.

How did the outbreak begin, and what measures are Beijing taking to contain it?

- What is the origin of the cluster? -

Beijing had turned into a virtual fortress at the height of the pandemic, with people arriving from other regions or countries required to undergo quarantines.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Democrats and Never-Trumpers gaming out ‘doomsday scenarios’ if president refuses to leave office: report

Published

on

According to a report in the New York Times, Democratic strategists and Never-Trumper conservatives fear Donald Trump will refuse to leave office should he lose in November and are making plans and figuring out their legal options should such an unprecedented state of affairs come to pass.

The report, by the Times' Reid Epstein, begins with one such possible scenario.

Continue Reading
 

COVID-19

‘Retaliation plain and simple’: Vaccine agency top Doc fired by Trump administration files whistleblower complaint

Published

on

Dr. Rick Bright has retained an attorney and will be filing a whistleblower complaint after the Trump administration fired him from his position as head of the federal agency charged with developing a COVID-19 vaccine. Dr. Bright was moved to a different agency with a narrower focus after he raised concerns over President Donald Trump's obsession with promoting hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug recent studies found doubles the death rate in coronavirus patients.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image