Quantcast
Connect with us

‘We do not have a warrant’: FBI admits Comey jumped the gun with Clinton email announcement

Published

on

FBI Director James Comey acted 'against the guidance he was given' on Friday (a katz / Shutterstock.com)

As of Saturday night, the Federal Bureau of Investigation still did not have a warrant to view the emails it is purportedly investigating in the reopening of its case regarding Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her use of a private email server during her tenure as Secretary of State.

Yahoo News reporter Michael Isikoff attempted to question FBI officials about the contents of the emails alluded to by Director James Comey on Friday, but found that the officials themselves have yet to view the emails. So far, they’ve been unable to obtain legal authorization to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

An official told Isikoff that Comey “had no idea what was in the content of the emails” when he sent his letter to Congress on Friday advising them that he is reviewing new materials that may prove pertinent to the investigation against Clinton.

The Justice Department has not granted approval for FBI agents to examine the materials, so FBI officials have no idea whether the emails contain sensitive or incriminating information or anything investigators have seen before.

“We do not have a warrant,” a senior law enforcement official told Isikoff. “Discussions are under way [between the FBI and the Justice Department] as to the best way to move forward.”

The new emails were found during an investigation into disgraced Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner (NY) and his sexting relationship with a teen girl.

Isikoff noted that the fact that the FBI has no idea of the contents of the emails is important because members of Donald Trump’s media team have insisted that the FBI would not be reopening the investigation if it hadn’t found something significant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Comey’s decision to notify Congress about emails of which he neither knows the contents or pertinence has proven controversial and some have speculated that his motivations are political.

On Friday, he sent an internal letter to FBI personnel explaining his decision to send the letter to Congress. Comey said, “Because those emails appear to be pertinent to our investigation, I agreed that we should take appropriate steps to obtain and review them.”

Senior Justice Department officials are reportedly “apoplectic” that Comey would make his move based on so little evidence at such a critical time in the U.S. election. The director was “strongly discouraged” from sending the letter, said one official, who said that Comey was “acting independently of the guidance given to him.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Roberts — a former aide to Attorney General Eric Holder — wrote in Politico that Comey is a loose cannon who is as high-handed and unaccountable a director as the FBI has seen since J. Edgar Hoover.

“Come January,” Riley said, “whoever steps into the Oval Office will find, in Comey, a formidable antagonist: not the wrathful demigod Kennedy encountered in Hoover, but every bit as untouchable.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump gets schooled by a historian for comparing his achievements to Abraham Lincoln’s

Published

on

During the final presidential debate on Thursday, President Donald Trump boasted that he had done more for Black Americans than any president since Abraham Lincoln. On Friday, historian Doris Kearns Goodwin appeared on CNN and blasted Trump for his remark.

“The most important thing in a time of crisis is for a president to be willing it take responsibility. One of FDR’s aides once said when things are going on right, people don't have to think a lot about the character demanded by the presidency. He can just stay in that old picture frame,” she told CNN host Chris Cuomo.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump argues Biden is the candidate of ‘needless death’ — on the ‘worst day of the pandemic’

Published

on

President Donald Trump attempted to brand former Vice President Joe Biden as the candidate of "needless death" during a Friday night campaign rally in Pensacola, Florida.

"Biden is the candidate of endless wars and needless deaths," Trump argued, as coronavirus fatalities continue to mount.

"The United States is in the midst of one of the most severe surges of the coronavirus to date, with more new cases reported across the country on Friday than on any other single day since the pandemic began," The New York Times reported Friday.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Jared and Ivanka threaten to sue the Lincoln Project for ‘enormous’ damages over Times Square billboards on COVID: report

Published

on

Attorneys representing Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump are threatening to sue the Lincoln Project over two Times Square billboards criticizing the administration's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Lincoln Project posted a copy of a letter sent by attorney Marc Kasowitz.

"I am writing concerning the false, malicious and defamatory ads that the Lincoln Project is displaying on billboards in Times Square," Kasowitz wrote.

"Those ads show Ms. Trump smiling and gesturing toward a death count of Americans and New Yorkers, and attribute to Mr. Kushner the statement that "[New Yorkers] are going to suffer and that's their problem" (alteration in original), with body bags underneath," the letter read.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE