Quantcast
Connect with us

Illinois abuse victim’s lawsuit against ex-US House speaker to proceed

Published

on

A sexual abuse victim will continue to try to collect $1.8 million from former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert, the victim’s attorney said on Tuesday, after an Illinois judge denied Hastert’s motion to dismiss a breach-of-contract lawsuit.

The plaintiff, identified in court documents as James Doe, claims that Hastert agreed to pay him $3.5 million as compensation for decades of pain and suffering caused by Hastert’s sexual abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hastert, 74, the longest-serving Republican U.S. House speaker in history, pleaded guilty last year to the crime of structuring, which involves withdrawing a large sum of money in small increments to avoid detection.

Hastert has not been charged with or convicted of sex abuse due to the statute of limitations, but at his sentencing hearing in April, he admitted to sexual abuse of boys when he was a high school teacher and coach in his hometown of Yorkville, around 50 miles (80 km) southwest of Chicago.

Hastert was sentenced to 15 months in federal prison, followed by two years of probation and sex-offender treatment.

He is serving his sentence in the Federal Medical Center in Rochester, Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT

Doe filed the lawsuit in Kendall County Circuit Court in northeastern Illinois in April, claiming Hastert owes him the unpaid portion of a $3.5 million deal they verbally agreed to in 2008.

“There is no public policy against an abuser agreeing to compensate his victim and the victim seeking to enforce that commitment to compensate him,” Kristi Browne, Doe’s attorney, said in a statement on Tuesday.

“We will proceed now to prove our claim by seeking documents from Mr. Hastert and others and taking his deposition.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Robert Pilmer rejected Hastert’s motion to have the case dismissed on Monday and the decision was disclosed on Tuesday, according to court documents. The plaintiff had established a basis for a “claim for contract,” Pilmer wrote in his order.

Hastert’s attorney did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Hastert’s attorney sought dismissal because the contract was not in writing, saying it would be void because Doe broke confidentiality by speaking about it, according to court documents

ADVERTISEMENT

Doe said he was 14 when he was molested by Hastert, a trusted family friend, high school teacher and “beloved coach” of the state champion wrestling team in the town of Yorkville, Illinois, according to court documents.

The next hearing in the contract case is scheduled for Jan. 18.

(Reporting by Timothy Mclaughlin; Editing by David Gregorio)

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Elections 2016

Betsy DeVos, Ben Carson send anti-trans signals to Trump’s evangelical base

Published

on

While Trump grabs headlines, his Cabinet members quietly use transphobia to shore up white evangelical support

The white evangelical vote is almost certainly a lock for Donald Trump in 2020, but it appears the president is taking no chances of losing this critical voting block. One major part of that strategy appears to be quietly deploying his Cabinet members, especially those associated with the Christian right, to generate stories highlighting the Trump administration's overt bigotry toward trans people, and its eagerness to deprive trans Americans of basic rights.

Just this week, both Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson snagged coverage by making community visits that were ostensibly for noble purposes, but were clearly meant to signal to Christian right voters their hostility to trans rights.

Continue Reading

Elections 2016

Intelligence official directly contradicts Trump administration’s excuses for suppressing whistleblower

Published

on

A top official in the intelligence community has disputed the factual basis for the Trump administration’s suppression of a whistleblower complaint believed to regard the potential misconduct of the president himself, a new letter released Thursday revealed.

The letter was made public by House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA). He is locked into a fierce and potentially explosive dispute with an array of forces within the administration to obtain the complaint, which was made through proper channels by an intelligence official last month to the community’s inspector general. Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson determined that the complaint was “credible” and “urgent,” and subsequent reporting from the Washington Post found that it concerns a “promise” made by Trump in communication with a foreign leader.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Longtime GOP strategist explains why his party is getting crushed in the war of ideas

Published

on

Republican strategist Stuart Stevens on Wednesday warned the GOP that Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) might not be a pushover candidate against President Donald Trump in 2020.

Writing on Twitter, Stevens admitted that he had "no idea" if Warren would beat Trump next year, but he did say that "Trump and supporters are destroying [the] credibility of any center-right argument" thanks to Trump's "corrupt and unstable" governance.

When one of Stevens' followers said that Warren would not be able to fulfill her promises just by taxing the wealthy, he countered that this idea is still more popular than anything Republicans are championing.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image